icon

dimmer input wire on alpine nav

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jamesmoore 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, I am trying to connect my Alpine sat nav system to my car. I have a 'Blue/White' wire labelled 'Dimmer input' and I am not sure what i connect this up to.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks

james

Ishinc 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
This is probably the wire that dims your screen when you turn on your headlights. This is useful so the screen is not blinding at night times! You want to connect that wire to any wire that is 12v+ when your headlights are on. What kind of car are you installing to? I believe most cars have a dimmer wire on the harness already.
chrane 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
no, the dimmer wire is for the knob that controls the brightness of instrument  lights in your vehicle,
Aaron
chrane 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
united kingdom eh? you guys have wierd sizing for your headunits and stuff dont you?
Aaron
six2six 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  
there is usually a illumination wire with your factory radio wires. connect the blue/white wire to that wire. this is to dim your headunit screen when u turn on the parking lights/headlights
the1alchemist 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
The dimmer,or just a parking light wire will both accomplish what it wants,those units usually just flip from dim,to bright,as far as the wire is concerned.
the pioneer 7500 has a light sensor that progressively dims the screen,but still uses the dimmer wire(others may sense as well,but i put in 4 of those for 1 of anything else anyway..)..only very old units actually 'dim' (based on voltage;progressively anyway..(that I have seen))
'Stereo' Mike
The Audio CARtist,LLC
9600 Balt. Ave.
College Park,MD 20740
301-474-6260

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic