icon

opinions requested

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nu_patentlaw 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

Hey all, I just got a new 2005 scion TC and am putting a new system in it. Was wondering what you all thought of the components below and if anyone here has has any suggestions for a custom sub enclosure for the trunk.

Components I currently have:

I'm looking for suggesitons for a good SQ sub and custom installation suggestions. Not looking to get too loud. I'm looking for something that sounds good, not that can be heard down the street, so please suggest subs/amps with this in mind. I was thinking maybe a single jl audio 10w3 or a single MB quart 12" discuss or premium series sub. I'm going to install the above items now and do the sub/2nd amp later (I'll prewire for a second amp when wiring the 1st). Thinking of maybe a 250-300WRMS amp to run the sub. Oh, and I will dynamat the trunk when I install the sub as well.  

Thanks!

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

Looks like a good start.  As a 216 owner, I might make one suggestion.  You might want to look into putting the 216s into kick panels.  Their off axis response in the door locations isn't what I'd consider great.  The mids sound nice at low axis angles, but get nasel and dry off-axis.  3-ways w/ midbass drivers in the doors is probably what I'll do when I get the time. 

If I had to buy the sub over I'd probably get one with XBL^2 technology from http://www.adireaudio.com/ 

Also check out Image Dynamics.  I've been extremely happy with the very small box size the IDQ driver requires, the reasonable power requirement, and the quality sound.

Are you currently a patent attorney, or a patent attorney in training?  2L here.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
nu_patentlaw 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply and the hint about the 216's. I think for now I'm gonna put em stock locations and then get some custom kicks put in later. Right now I'm a bit short on dough and time, given that I work full time and go to school at night. I've been looking very hard at the adire stuff too. Was going to buy their components based on their rep over at caraudio.com, but when I talked with a couple of local installers (tweeter, circuit city, some local shops) no one had ever heard of them, and I loved the MB quarts when I heard em, so I figured I'd go with a name I knew. I'll definitely check out the Adire subs though.

Regaridng your other question: I'm not a patent attorney, but I am currently a patent examiner at the US Patent and Trademark Office and a 2L law student at George Mason University. Will be leaving the PTO soon though to join a firm as a full time student associate/law clerk. Are you looking to get into the field?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
The MB Quart Ref10" in a 1.25 cu. ft. ported enclosure. Port is a slotted. 6"x1"x6" This is one of the most surprising subs AI have come across in recent years. Other than that, the tried and true Eclipse aluminum subs in a 1 to 1.25 cu.ft. sealed enclosure make most other subs jealous about good sound.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, don't get me wrong.  I've been extremely happy with how good the 216's sound overall.  The ability to use such a high quality set in a coax configuration is awesome and makes for a quick install.  I just get picky and neurotic when it comes to speakers.  It usually takes me a year of owning a pair to totally enjoy it. 

On the other topic:  I am looking into going into the field.  I actually lived very close to the PTO in Crystal City for a couple years.  This summer I'll be clerking at an IP firm in the midwest.  Glad to see you on the forum.  I'm finding that car audio is an excellent way to decompress. :-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
You haven't spent enough time in this industry yet........ at least on my side of the fence.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

Good sound quality w/ decent power handling....Eclipse, that w3 is good, MB quart makes good components (not sure bout their subs), I love my infinity.  The kappa pushes 300ish rms with some awsome sound quality.  Can't think of a time that mine's ever distorted (but then again I'm only running 150 watts to it).  Eclipse, JL, and Infinity are my choices.  Infinity if you have a smaller budget.  JL or Eclipse of your pocket's a little deeper.

nu_patentlaw 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  

kfr01 wrote:
Yeah, don't get me wrong.  I've been extremely happy with how good the 216's sound overall.  The ability to use such a high quality set in a coax configuration is awesome and makes for a quick install.  I just get picky and neurotic when it comes to speakers.  It usually takes me a year of owning a pair to totally enjoy it.

-I hear you man. Sound quality is such a user specific thing that its hard for somebody to say "this sounds good" and have it mean the same thing to everyone. I'm not a newbie to high end audio, but I am pretty new to high end car audio. I'm sure that these quarts will blow me away, seeing as how I've never had aftermarket speakers for the high end in any car I've owned. Most of my knowledge about audio comes from tinkering (and spending way too much money) on home theatre stuff (hence the enormous inventment in sound deadening I am making), and also from growing up not being allowed to listen to anything oither then classical music (my brother was a child prodigy on the piano). I'm the same way with home audio stuff as you are about car audio. I'm frustrated with stuff for about a year while I tinker with it, then I'm happy. :)

kfr01 wrote:
On the other topic:  I am looking into going into the field.  I actually lived very close to the PTO in Crystal City for a couple years.  This summer I'll be clerking at an IP firm in the midwest.  Glad to see you on the forum.  I'm finding that car audio is an excellent way to decompress. :-)

Cool man. I work in the Alexandria office now (PTO recently moved out of those horrid buildings in CC). Let me know if you have any questions related to the field. I've been an examiner for a little over three years now, so while I'm no expert, I'm certainly not wet behind the ears in this field either. It would be a crazy coincidence if you ended up working at a firm where I know some attorneys....

nu_patentlaw 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
You haven't spent enough time in this industry yet........ at least on my side of the fence.

You mean the Intellectual Property Industry or the Car Audio industry? I take it from your response you are a patent attorney (the "on my side of the fence" phrase tipped me off). Either way you are probably correct, though I'm not a classic newbie in either industry. I've been an examiner for 3 years, so I know what I'm doing (contrary to many examiners, I write more then one paragraph office actions and exaplain my position on things fairly clearly). As for the attorney side of things though, I'm completely new to things. It will be interesting to see things from the other side in a  couple months. I'm just looking forward to doing something other then examining.

nu_patentlaw 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
boxmaker85 wrote:

Good sound quality w/ decent power handling....Eclipse, that w3 is good, MB quart makes good components (not sure bout their subs), I love my infinity.  The kappa pushes 300ish rms with some awsome sound quality.  Can't think of a time that mine's ever distorted (but then again I'm only running 150 watts to it).  Eclipse, JL, and Infinity are my choices.  Infinity if you have a smaller budget.  JL or Eclipse of your pocket's a little deeper.

Yeah, If I can afford it I'm definitely going to go with either the JL 10W3 or the Adire Koda 10 or Brahma 10. They are comparable in specs and in reputation. I'll probably underpower them though because I'm trying to avoid getting a new alternator for my 2 week old car LOL. Trying to keep the whole system under 500 watts RMS combined (I know my post above doesn;t reflect that power requirement).

SO.... anyone out there seen a TC, more less own one and put a custom single sub enclosure in the back?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic