icon

2 way or 3 way

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Huge101 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  

What should I go with 2 way or 3 way speakers for my front doors. If i can fit a kappa 6.5 in my door i will go with that but i need to know if anyone has done this so I know it works. If i can't fit a 6.5 i would go with a 5.25 kappa.

2000 Pontiac Grand Am 2 door.

Shake it, Don't break it
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
You need to make sure the magnet won't interfere with the window.  Personally, I perfer seperates.
Do it right the first time
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  

Two ways are good.  You might notice a difference between two way and three way for a front speaker.  I'd go w/ a two way and add a tweeter in the window sail (if you have one).  That's my set up right now (5.25 reference two way and a tweeter in the sail) and my highs are singing (not harsh but definately clear).  Do you know the size of speaker up front already?  I think it's 5.25 but not sure.  If it's that then you could modify the opening to accept the 6.5 (like raydawg  said given the magnet has the clearance). 

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Are you talking about 3-way components or coaxials?  If you're talking about coax, it doesn't matter.  A nice 2-way coax will kick the crap out of a super elite 3-way with a super-duper-elite 2nd tweeter.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
i would go with components if you can make them fit
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
nc5er 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

Last time I checked, coaxial = Yugo and components = Rolls Royce

I hope I was'nt under a rock that long, although I've seen CDT and other high end building convertible type driver's.

boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

The coaxial speakers i've got are some sweet speakers.  I've got an extra tweeter running to them up in my window sail.  They have some incredible highs with good lower frequency sound.  The components might be better though.  I wouldn't mind going with them but they run normally $100 more than their normal coaxial speakers.

skunk0526 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
     Wow, That is so wierd that this is the first post I've Read tonight. I Just finished installing a set of Infinity Kappa 6.5" 3 way coaxials, in my doors!
     In my Opinion, 3-ways are a good option if you cant get away with components, but still like to tweak. Mine sound absolutely great beacause i also used fiberglass speaker baffles, which was also my first fiberglass project. Nice Sharp mids, and clean dynamic highs, even though though my sound stage is crappy due to the 6.5's facing paralell to each other. The Time correction feature on my head helps quite a bit.
     I am also planning on starting kick panels, In addition to the Infinity 6.5's, which will house Boston Acoustic 6.5" pro series components  (currently making payments Got a sweet deal)
Gotta start a new thread, I'm drifting.
2000 Honda Civic 4DR
Alpine 7892 HU
PPI A404.4 [HP] w/.5F Cap.
PPI A600.2 [LP] w/1F Cap.
Infinity Kappa 3-way 6.5"
Infinity Kappa 6x9
Infinity Kappa 4OHM DVC
VT Slot Port Box
Dynamat rules

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.