Clifford install central locking problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MattL 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I am based in the uk and have a bit of a problem. Just very nearly finished my install of a clifford Avantguard 5 into an MG ZS (British Car). Just havin probs with the central locking!!
The switch in the drivers actuator is a SPDT and just grounds on one terminal to lock and another to unlock (note: grounds does not pulse ground) this connects back to the BCM which then activates the actuators to lock or unlock by simply just reversing the polarity to the actuators in a pulse.
When i connect the clifford up straight into the actuator motor wires the actuators just make a noise and hardly move. Yet im using the same wires as the BCM does except im just connecting up in the drivers kick panel....i just dont understand why it wont work!
Looking at the diagrams in the clifford manual i cant find a method of going into the actuator switch which is why i have gone straight into the actuator motor wires (in the clifford book as aftermarket actuators type)
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

U R using Negative Pulse from Clifford I presume??

Have Metered Lock / UNLock wires at Accuator or BCM for voltage ?
If it is reversal and U have Clifford wired direct, U may not have strong enough pulse for Acuators and may have to use Relays to supply stronger + - voltage

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
MattL 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
No the Clifford AG5 has its own onboard locking relays so i have wired them straight into the motor wires as per the CLifford diagram
The voltage shouldnt be a problem as the on board locking relays have the common connections straight to a known good 12V source.
I will try and do some more metering tomorrow...i think i may need some more relays to give the desired output...think i may need to got the 4 wire reversal route for the correct output to the solenoids but will try and check tomorrow. The clifford only appears to be able to hover at ground when at rest.
Anymore ideas???
MattL 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
I meant normally open connections i think...havent got the diagram to hand but u get my drift.
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

The clifford has ON Board Relays for either Negative or Positve Outputs for Door Locks?  That's good, I still would want to meter wires 1st to be sure

MO
MattL 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
It would be good if i could get the blasted things to work. May try hooking an actuator straight up to 12V see if i can get it to activate...just dont understand why it wont work with what i currently got.....like i say...they all make a noise but dont quite actuate!!!
Could a bad earth give this problem??
mo12v 
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
YEP....... But I would still Meter wires 1st
MO
naughtydog 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
Why dont you just open circuit the lock and unlock motor wires (not switching wires) and drive the motor, this in turn will lock the other doors. This is how you normally do Rovers, the motor wires are normally orange and pink,
You cant just pulse them with a positive as you will blow the fuse, you must cut them and run them through the alarm.
Use diagram C in the installation manual.
naughtydog 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
double posted - sorry
MattL 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
I sorted it in the end. I found that the factory alarm ecu that was driving the motor wires was leaving them resting at ground. So when the clifford kicked in was getting a short...didnt blow any fuses though suprisingly!
ANyway was easily sorted by just cutting the factory wires at the alarm ecu!
The colour of the wires were different to what was mentioned above so they have changed things now! I know what u say was true of my 600 when i had it though!
Ta, Matt
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic