icon

little install question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
99ac30cl 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

my current setup is as follows....premier 760 h/u, memphis 100.4 amp, memph components .....when everything was installed i bought a dual amp kit and had the place wire everything for 2 amp so that when i get a mono amp and single 12 it will be plug & play basically. A few days ago i bought kicker kx600.1 and alpine r12 in prefab box....just wired it all up, and problem....the power on the amp is on, w/ green led not red so i know pwr/gnd/rem is good (someone verify that i can rule this out)...BUT no output to sub....any suggestions on how to isolate w/o voltmeter?? rca's? speaker leads?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

Take one of your old OEM speakers that you removed from the car and connect it to the amp to see whether the problem is in the sub box or elsewhere.  Are the RCAs supplying a signal to the amp?  Verify that they are.  Did the shop install the RCAs or did you?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
99ac30cl 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
cool thanx for replying so fast, i was thinkin the exact same thing to connect an old speaker to test....the shop connected everything, i don't mess with disassembling the car. Obviously if there is power, then my sub connections are bad, but if no power, then can you give me some possible scenarios? thanx
99ac30cl 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

just to clarify, the shop installed the original setup, with front/rear rca to multi chan amp, and s/w rca's left "hanging"....i just installed the second amp myself tonite, thinking i know what im doing (i know which wires go where). basically i plugged 12v into empty slot on dist block, tapped rem wire off 1st amp, grouded new amp (actually, to a diff point then the first one, is that bad like could it cause this particular problem?) plugged in rca white2white blue plug to red female, and connected speaker leads to bottom terminals on box....any other suggestions?

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

Test with what you have.  The sub box can be connected to the 4 channel amp in place of the rear speakers to see if the wiring on the sub itself is intact.  The sub amp can be verified to produce current by using the old test speaker I spoke about.  The RCAs should be going out of the 4 channel via the output jacks, check that.  Take your time, don't panic.  It'll come.  The grounds should be same location but only to eliminate whine.  When you get it up and running and hear it, then you'll know whether you need to change the ground.

Remember to always disconnect battery neg terminal before changing any wiring or doing any electrical work.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
99ac30cl 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

ok will do, its late here work tomorrow so i'm gonna try tomorrow and post results...thanx a lot so far

99ac30cl 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
just one more thing, you said "The RCAs should be going out of the 4 channel via the output jacks, check that". I don't think that memphis amp has pre-outs, i pretty sure that the front & rear rcas from the h/u are for 4 ch amp and s/w pre-out is now hooked to s/w amp....could the problem lie up front at the h/u outputs??? (please say no, please say no!!)
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
AS mentioned before , make sure there is a signal going thru the RCAs sub into the amp. Check the menu on the premier deck and make sure the sub level is "ON" and turned up.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
stevdart 
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
Just plug them into the 4 channel in place of the fronts and see whether they work.  The thing is, you have everything you need for troubleshooting this problem because you have a  system up and running.  Easy to test.  Just be patient and put everything back the way it was  ;)
99ac30cl 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  

cool beanz

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic