the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Help With amp Power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

i have three 10's each in a 1 foot box and i have them wired to an amp so that they are gettin roughly 150 watts each.  How would i hook up the amp for use in a house without using a battery any help would be helpful

boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

A 12 volt power supply comes to mind. Here is an examplel

http://www.baproducts.com/pyramid.htm

dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
thats exactly what i have been trying to find.  How many amps do you think i would need to power it.
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
I would contact the manufacturer and get a recommendation.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
I have often thought about using car stereo subwoofers when I build home stereo tower speakers. There is one problem that I can think of with using car speakers in a house. And that is that car subs/drivers have a much higher maximum distortion rating than houses subs/drivers. Now, this really doesn't matter if you like listening to things like Rock. But if you want to watch a HD movie, the speakers can make a big difference in the "surround" effect.
Anywho.
I have used car subs/drivers to build tower speakers for my house. They turned out pretty good, but they are too "boomy". I mean, they over-emphasize the bass frequencies. And when you use a seperate amp to driver the subs, this problem only gets worse.
These are really my personal opinions. You will have to try it and "see" for yourself.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

dangerranger96 wrote:
thats exactly what i have been trying to find.  How many amps do you think i would need to power it.

Look at the fuse rating on the amp.  That will tell you what you need for full volume.  As you will see when shopping for a converter, it doesn't make much sense to use a car amp in a house.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic