icon

water, plexi, sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I'd like to build a forward firing ported box for 2 12" Rockford T1's off the new 2000 watt 1 channel amp... what i'd like to do is make a (APPROXIMATE SIZE 10"x20"x1")  tank with a air bubbler along the bottom and maybe like kinda like a plexi window looking into the box when you open the trunk you can see the back of the woofers... This box would be lit internally with green neons... Please don't laugh at me... I want to do the install over the winter so i'm doing my research now... I believe I should use 1/2" plexi... because you can buy a plexi cement/weld type glue... I've used 1/2" lexan as a window before and it worked fine...

The bubble maker and neon would be activated once the trunk was opened with a relay and 12Vto 120V power inverter.... But my question to you is... what kind of water do I use? just plain tap water boiled? or distilled water? I wanna have this install in all summer so the water/trunk will heat up when its hot out. I don't want the water to get cloudy after a few days or a week or a month... do I add anything to the water to prevent this?... kinda like shocking a pool, but a chemical that won't hurt the plexi... should I vent the "tank with a small 1/4" silicon hose type deal?  any help with these questions would be GREATLY appreciated!! I'm trying to make my car into a show car for this comming summer so I'm pulling it all apart and keeping it in a heated garage so I have plenty of time to take the install slowly and work on it to make it just right! Any that can please help me i'd appreciate it... I'm not trying to become the next fishman or anything I just love the effect the bubbles give through the water when you're looking into the trunk...

bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, I Done This Project In My Car But Instead Of Useing Water I Used BABY OIL Becaause If You Use Water Then Algae Begins To Grow.

And Yes It Does Have To Be Vented Or The Air Pump Will Not Work Due To The Pressure Inside Of The Tank.

You Can Do It Just Be Creative.

If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
BoominRolla 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmmmmmmm may I ask why baby oil and not any other oil?... did it give the same effects as water... what I mean is did the bubbles slow down due to it being a thicker liquid?... thanks for the reply though!!! first one in 53 views!!!
bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
No The Bubbles Where Not Slow It Was Like Water. And What Do You Mean Any Other Oil?
If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
BoominRolla 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
Like olive oil or veggie oil... I've never seen baby oil in large quantities... I hope I don't need more than a gallon or so of it? I'm assuming you used it because it was clear... Do you have any more insight on how to build a proper "tank" how to correctly seal it and such... How thick was your plexi you used? how did you glue it together? Thanks man!!! you have been a great help so far!!! Do you have any pics of the install??
evol E 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
yeah baby oil works great. I've used it for bubble tanks and it does fine. It smells good too. But make sure to water test it first oil sucks to clean up and it make it a bitch to reseal. 
BoominRolla 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

GREAT TIP!! With the water test idea!! Any idea on how to build the proper tank with recessing it in the MDF... I haven't done this before so I don't know all the proper routering techniques... I'm gonna have to draw it out and try and plan my best way to design the sub box with "tank" along the back side pannel... i'm thinking the tank will be more like 10"x15"x1 1/2" deep, maybe a lil bigger or smaller...

Is there any way to make it look cleaner if I am looking into the box from inside the car like through the port facing forward... Maybe interior trim pannels for the inside of the box to hide the bubbler and hoses... I have an idea but I need to get this on paper first... I don't really like the idea of sacraficing the interiro volume of the box but hopefully its less than a cubic foot because i'm looking to make the box internally about 3 cubic feet? after all displacement... so in all reality it'll need to be more like 4 cubes internally... THANX FOR HELPING ME GET THE BALL ROLLING!!! 

evol E 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
I I built 2 bubble setups that u could see from front to back. one was in a navigator I built 2 enclosures on either  side of the trunk and put the tank in the middle then made a panel toblend it all together so it looked like one box. the other was in a maxima the subs faced forward the front and back of the box was plexy the bub tank wasthe bach of the box. So when you folded the back seats down u saw the subs mounted in the plexy and the bub tankonthe other side. from the trunk u looked through the bub tank and saw the subs. It looked cool at night with the neons on looked like the subs were floating in water That was my favorite install. Any questions you have for me e-mail me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic