icon

Wiring Dual Voice Coils

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beenkurupted 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

I just got two Audiobahn AW1006Q subs and a A2150 amp and need to know how to get these thinds wired up.  They are dual voice coil and have to sets - and + for each coil.  Any help would be appreciated. 

thanks in advance 

furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
I did a search for the specks on the amp & got no results. Could you post the specks on both the amp & subs so we can help you.
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
It looks like from thier site that the amp is 1 ohm stable but Im not seeing those subs on thier web site. All I need to know is how many ohms those subs are rated for and them I (or we) can help you wire those correctly. Check and make sure you gave the correct model number from the subs. Are they an older model maybe?
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
beenkurupted 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

Heres the specs from the website

PHAT 2” Multi-layer Foam Surround

Stamped and Balanced Aluminum Cone
Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coil
2 Ohm or 8 Ohm Operation
6 mm Cast Aluminum Basket
Multi-connect Lug Lock Terminals

and if you guys need more heres the website address http://www.audiobahn.com/frame2004.html

oh my bad its the AW1006T

thanks for the help

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

Your subs have two sets of binding posts for an installation like yours where you are 1) connecting voice coils, and 2) connecting subs.  The idea is that you don't have to use the same binding post for two wires, but in some cases you will as you see below.  Not all the posts will be used.

You have a 1 ohm stable amp as I noted from the post above.  The subs are DVC 4 ohm, so each sub's coils will be wired in parallel.  Use any one of the + and - on each coil to the same polarity on the second coil.  Do that for each sub.  Then the two subs are wired together in parallel for a total sum of 1 ohm, and again, use any post from sub one to sub two,  one + and one -.  Connect one + and one - to the amp, using any one + and one - on the amp.

Wiring Dual Voice Coils -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Stevdart , you beat me to it. Im trying to learn how to drag images from a web site to the post in this forum. I have the diagram loaded up from audiobahn but cant figure how you guys here get the images over to the forum. Anyway , thanks........
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Stevdart , I should have learned this a long time ago. Anyway.......Beenkurupted , is this what they look like?

99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

There we go...........no post is used for two wires.  I should've got that on the first post.  As you can see, any positive from sub one to sub two.....same with negative.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
ok  Stevdart , your a good teacher............tell me one more thing please.......if these subs are DVCs(as in dual voice coils) why does each sub have 4 sets of terminal post. I see how you show it to be wired but dont understand the 4 terminals instead of 2 sets of pos. & neg.?
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
Nevermind...........I see where you explained it above...............Very good I understand now
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic