icon

Tach or No Tach?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ampere 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  

I've always been told that if the car is going to be drivin in a climate that changes from hot to cold frequently, Voltage sense makes the most, well, sense. As stated above, since the car rests at approx. 12 volts when off, and 14 when on, it is quite reliable in MOST cars.

In environments where it goes from cold to hot a lot, the engine may need to crank longer or shorter, and even crank at different RPMs. This would make the Tach un-ideal. However, if the car is going to be a just a hot or cold climate MOST of the time, Tach could be a vaild choice.

Just what I've been told. Please correct if I am wrong.

misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Wow you guys have me all confused. I have been doing this for five or six years now and I have smoke pouring out of my ears from thinking so hard... I am lazy so I go voltage I live in michigan so you know what the weather is like. I use units with adjustable crank time and have no problems. Some cars that crank fast (most gm cars ) often exhibit some over crank but hey a.m.s. (Aint my stuff). That is the wrong attitude to have but I get punished for anything that takes longer than 45min. However on cars like most hondas they crank real slow and voltage works great no matter the weather. Now on my side jobs I always go with a tach. Never overcranks starts first time everytime no ifs and or buts. The only time I do not tach on a side job is if there is no source except an injector. I saw my boss do a car once and grounded out the tach wire going through the firewall. He didn't notice. A few days later this 80 year old lady was walking to the dealership because the injector experienced hydralock and cracked the block. At least that is what the service tech said. I do no know if it is true but I was later told that had it been somewhere else it would not have happened. But I ask this... Had it gone to the pcm and was grounded out wouldn't it blow the pcm? Hmmmmm
johnnydi77 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
I'm myself don't like voltage sensing. I install car starters everyday and I always use a tach sense. I found that if you don't you will have problems starting when the weather is cold. I always use a tach wire and don't have problems cause of it. Its worth the extra 15 mins to make sure it will always work. Insurance ya know!
John J. DiStefano Jr.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic