icon

CD changer on a stock Ford Explorer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering could you install a CD changer on a stock 1996 Ford Explorer with the factory tape deck? I did it on a Lexus where I used to intern but I can't remember if it has to be a certain CD changer(we used a Sony on the Lexus) or what it needs to be. Can this be done? has anyone ever done it? What changers can do this? I think I can do it , I just have to get the changer with the little screen. If you can help, please do. If you have a changer for sale, that works with wires and everything, doesn't have to be the best(it is for my dads work car) please tell me. Just something cheap with be great! Thanks
Duke Duke
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
you can install a changer in anything that has an am/fm radio in it,   you just need to get either a changer with a modulator, it plugs right into the antenna harness
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
There are two kinds of changers.
1) RF Modulated Changer. It can be used on any stereo with a FM radio. All you do is wire it in with the antenna and tune the FM radio to the correct frequency to hear it, and control the changer with the supplied remote. There are many brands of these including the Sony you described.
2) Direct Connection. If your factory stereo has CD changer controls, then you can buy a changer that is compatible with your factory stereo and plugs right into it. Check with Crutchfield for that. (www.crutchfield.com)
Hope this helps.
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I am just lookin to help him out, I know a lot about "the main stuff" if you will, not really much of the branches, thanks for the info!
Duke Duke

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic