icon

which subs will hit harder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
anthony33$ 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have two 12" audiobahn subs that came stock in the abp12t audiobahn bandpass enclosure, the enclosure was rated at 800rms 1600max. The subs have been put in an sealed box that does not match their correct box volume { the kid just went and bought the first box he could find, and threw them in it}. It leaks and the subs sound like crap, one of the subs has a patch on the cone made of a bicycle tube and some kind of glue. when I removed one the subs they look like cheap wall mart speakers and they only have a single voice coil and have no heat dissapating vents  {not usual audiobahn quaility}. They are running on a legacy 400x2 amp and get 400w apiece. will two 12" pbx evolution subs in a vented box out perform the two audiobahns. they will be running off the same amp with the same power to each of them. They are450rms and 900max. they have duel voice coils. and are made to play loud and clear bass. the vehicle is a 1992 honda acoord lx two door with the rear seat folded down.  
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
Two jensens will outperform 2 audiobahns. Need I say more?
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=42007&PN=1

Dude, you just asked the same question.  Was this post a mistake?

Again.  Don't even mention max wattage for amps or speakers, it means nothing.  Dual voice coils doesn't necessarily mean a sub will play any louder or cleaner.  I share xtreamcc's distaste for Audiobahn, but, like I said in the other thread, replace your amplifier and your box before you buy new subs. 

Also, the heat dissipating vents on the 'usual audiobahn quality' subs are gimmicks.  They might reduce some heat, but are more for looks.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

The only difference between SVC and DVC subs is the load presented to the amplifier. There is no difference in sound or performance between the two.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Jeffpaulus 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

Xtreamcc:

You just said that Jensen can outperform Audiobahn.  I feel sick.  First of all, Can you list for me all of the Jensen and Audiobahn setups that you have ahd in your car.  I have specific, (unfortunaley) experience with both of these brands, and I can personally tell you that $200 spent on Audiobahn will give you a better product in every way than $200 will with Jensen. Dont get me wrong, I'm not an audiobahn fan, but I have owned it and I know the difference between garbage (Jensen) and cool garbage (Audiobahn)

Deck -     Eclipse CD8443 - $475
Speakers - Boston BAZ5 - $1000
Amp -      Alpine MRV-T420 - $400
Car -      1988 PLymouth Colt - $450, it's been rolled!
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

"I can personally tell you that $200 spent on Audiobahn will give you a better product in every way than $200 will with Jensen. "

Um...  Is that a challenge?  You can keep your $200 a piece Audiobahn subs.  I would take my $200 and buy 4 18in Legacy or Pyramid subs.  Even though they are cheap, and not relatively good compared to other subs of the same size, 4 18in subs will hit much harder than an AudioBahn sub of the same price.

The way that sub manufacturers can produce such "high" SPL from relatively small subs is by allowing them to have an insane peak-to-peak excursion.  I've seen a 12in sub that had a claimed peak-to-peak excursion of ~8in.  With that much excursion, it is almost impossible to keep the driver linear.

94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
I'll agreee with poormanq45. With $200 i'll purchase 4  12" sony xplod subs! lol this may sound ridiculous, but i bet i can drive them for a lower SPL  and have them pound way more than ur $200 a piece audio bahn!  audio bahns not bad. There awesome subs. But just pricy. ! but hey, you get what you pay for!
^_^
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
I guess you do "get what you pay for." In Audiobahn's case this happens to be chrome flames and advertising, not quality.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  

ROFL! LMAO!

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

"I guess you do "get what you pay for." In Audiobahn's case this happens to be chrome flames and advertising, not quality. "

...and it works!! I think ive seen more audiobahn setups in my area then anything else, I also see alot of sony and MA audio.  The rich kids/older guys "in the know" have MMATS (the best, and most expensive, shop around sells them)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic