icon

excursion and cabin pressure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
anthony33$ 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
do high excursion subwoofers create moore air pressure inside your vehicle when running at high volume. If you had two 12" drivers in the same box and both subs had the same power would the sub with more linear excursion create more pressure in your vehicle. what are some good subs that have good excursion and sound good while being driven to their limits, they also have to be made for everyday use. Thank You,
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

SPL, as I understand it, will be a function of efficiency, displacement of the woofer, and power.  Excursion is only one component of displacement, the other being cone diameter.  Looking simply at excursion is a mistake, contrary to what Audiobahn marketing would like you to think. 

Displacement = cone diameter * excursion stroke.  However, most of the giant fat surround on a high excursion subwoofer isn't usable cone diameter.  So some "high excursion" subwoofers end up having fairly small actual cone diameter.  The high excursion ends up making up for lost cone diameter. 

A lot of those high excursion subwoofers end up sounding like ass and distort like crazy because of problems controlling the linearity of the driver.  In other words, don't buy your next sub based solely on excursion.  Also, remember to get that excursion you usually sacrifice efficiency and greatly increase the power you need.

If you are looking for high excursion I would look at subs with great excursion and low distortion.  I hear the Adire Brahma and the REAudio XXX subs are probably some of the best you can get in this category.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Very leading question... Post a little more info regarding EXACTLY what you are trying to do, and then we can see if there is a better way to answer you.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
anthony33$ 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Im just wondering what all the hipe is about excursion. Im also looking for two 12" subs to put in my car, If they had a greater excursion capabitiy would they make more bass, they dont have to have a big fat surround or nothing, im just looking for two desent priced subs that will press on my ear drums, rattle everything loose in my car and stop the wind from coming in my windows. they are going in a ported box so I figure increased excursion capability will help them at high volume. My friend has two jl audio subs and when you open his trunk they will about punch you in the eye, and they even sound good while doing it. they make so much pressure in his car that his spoiler fell off going down the highway and he has replaced his front and rear window seals because the subs cause them to leak.   
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

If that sub moves more in and out of the box then yes it will create more pressure (will you notice it inside the vehicle... depens on the sub, enclosure, car, ect..).  That sub is creating more pressure inside of the box because it is pushing against the box of air more.

My favorite everyday sub for max excursion is the JL 13w7.  A nice 1.5" of movement.  It's pricey but that is one of my fav's.  There are other's of course but I like the JL's since they can push some air while maintaining sound quality and stay in one piece.

audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with kfr01 on RE and Adire for a high excursion sub with low distortion.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
I run 10's and they creat "pressure on your ear drums"   144.7db on the term lab is just a little bit of pressure,   enough to flex the roof about a 1/2 inch and destroy the seal around the sun roof,   whoops
2 10 inch eclispe 7100 aluminums ran to rms power(400 watts) for now,   1200 per sub 4 subs next season
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
Those eclipse keep a good sq?  I've seen alot bout them and I'm lookin at them.  Do they make amps?  Really need a new amp.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
I really like there amps for internals, but when it comes to there there subs they can take so much more power then even thier highest amps put out,   so I tend to go elsewhere for my sub amps, and yes even with the high spl in a ported box you can achieve great sq with the gain down
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2004 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse does make excellent quality amplifiers but they are a tad on the expensive side.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic