icon

Help and advice for New install Please

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:40 AM / IP Logged  

1994 Mustang GT convertible. (I know bad start for a SQ car, but I love my vert stang)

Heres what I have

Dynaudio MD130 (upgraded tweeter), MD160 (6.5" Midbass), MD170 (8"woofer)

EPX2 Rockford Semetry, 4x70w Monitor, 2x120w Monitor, Clarion 24bit dac burr brown headunit.

Subs and sub amps were taken so Im looking for advice on what will pair up nicely with my Dynaudio's. Someone was pushin g me torwards the Image Dynamics and powerign them with Pheonix gold or soundstream (Ive never used any of those brands before)

So my questions are, is the equipment i have cool to use for a SQ setup? (for those that dont know monitor was designed by the guy that designed Zapco for arc audio. I was told, but Im sure Im slightly wrong in some way.) I want to use the semetry to X-over the fronts so I get a tri-amp setup. (it also has the 28 band EQ add-on)

Also whats the best way to install the dynaudios? Free air, sealed? I planed on custom building a sealed enclosure in the doors for the 8" woofer, and building a custom kickpannel for the tweeter and 6.5" mid (freeair, sealed?). Can I accomplish this tri-amp setup with what I have? WIll it be a quality setup? Lastly what subs/amp do I use? I used to run three 10" DVC memphis studio series subs, which were loud and clean. I want to be able to piss of the neighbors, but SQ comes first in all decisions.

Thanks for everyones opinions and expertise.

chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  

quick4321 wrote:
 Someone was pushin g me torwards the Image Dynamics and powerign them with Pheonix gold or soundstream (Ive never used any of those brands before)

Wow dude, that's the exact same setup my buddy runs in his '91 Regal. He's running IDMAX's, and used to push them (and everything else) with Soundstreams, and then switched to PG. His has always been the best sounding system I have ever heard. Granted, I'm no expert and haven't heard as many as some of the other guys on this forum, but I'm no punk kid who creams over Kickers, either.  HOWEVER - his PG amps are now about 4 or so years old - from back in the day before they nosedived into the pages of Crutchfield.  It sounds to me like you are willing to pay good for your SQ, so if you want to go with PG, you could probably still find a new Titanium Series on the web here and there (last years models that are sadly now discontinued.)

As far as Soundstream - I haven't heard any of their new stuff in years. The old school stuff was absolutly phenomenal. I've heard that they just aren't what they used to be, but then, what is?  If you don't mind spending an arm and a leg and are very interested in the coolness factor, check out the Human Reign amps on their website.

You will probably get mixed reaction from this forum on the Image Dynamics. I personally love them, and am running an IDQ in my truck. They are built for SQ. If you ask for suggestions on other SQ subs, the list will go on and on...some that are always mentioned on top of the list are Eclipse Titanium, JLw7, Adire Brahma...

As for the rest of your questions, I'll let one of the experts handle that  Help and advice for New install Please -- posted image. .

BTW - does the guy pushing you towards ID and SS/PG live in St. Paul, MN? Ya' never know...

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
quick4321 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so you like the IDQ's. I notice they have 3 different subs. Which would work best in my small trunk. They have to be loud enough that they can be heard with the top down but I want a tight sound. So how many subs do I go with (sealed, ported?). What kind of power do I need?
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

Well, if I had the money, I would also be using the MAX's, but they are rated for 1000 watts RMS and I can't afford an amp like that right now (I'm picky about my amps which leaves out most "bargain" high watt amps).  The IDQ's are only rated at 250 watts RMS, but one 10" will rival a cheaper pair of 12's with more power.  If you have the money, 2 10" MAX's with 1000 watts ea. would be more than enough to listen to it with the top down flying down the freeway. Otherwise, 3 10" Q's in .5cu.ft. sealed boxes with 250 W each should be sufficient. This is just what I would do, but any config. would work good. I would stay away from their cheaper models, as they are made to compete with the "affordable mainstream" models. And please don't go and buy speakers just on my and others say so - try to listen to them before you buy them - it's the only way to know that you will like what you are getting.

In case you hadn't looked at it yet ID's website is www.imagedynamicsusa.com  Check out the tech papers on whichever models you are considering.  

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
quick4321 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Basicly the advice I got about running sick SPL subs. (sounds like the Max's fall into that category) is that I might over power the quality of the fronts I have. (Drown them out) I guess i really need to hear the difference between the Max's and the other model. Im definitley not going to go with the low end subs.Ive spent to much money on the other equipment to put crap in the trunk. Thanks again for the help. Oh, By the way. when i spoke with ARC audio and they said I should grab some quality SQ subs like the Dynaudio subs and put then in the back seat within 18" of my head. I was told this would not wake the neighbors but it would be incredible SQ. (Dont quote me becasue they told me that a few motnhs back and I cant rember exactly what they said. they may have tried to sell me on some new subs they are comming out with too but they did talk about the concept of puting the subs very close to my head.) Im leaning away from taking out the back seat out beasue its to much fun to have 4 people in a vert stang at the beach. Id have bought a vette if I wanted a 2 seater.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic