Need design help w/ 6x9s in my hatch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
GSR Jay 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all.
I'm in the process of putting together a custom hatch cover that will accommodate my Boston Acoustics RX97s in my 90 Civic hatchback. I've already made version 1.0 out of 1/2" MDF but it flops around too much and the fit is not so great. Also, the mids and lows don't hit very hard likely due to the fact that the volume where the 6x9s operate in is not very airtight at all.
What I'm thinking of doing this time around is creating another hatch cover (this time out of 3/4" MDF) and possibly an enclosure for the 6x9s as pictured below. I can't find any information on what volume to make the enclosure for the mitts but I'd like to concentrate on the speakers producing mids and lows (please don't flame me for this comment). Sealed? Ported? This is a budget build and I already have the MDF at my disposal. Any advice is appreciated.   
Need design help w/ 6x9s in my hatch -- posted image.
My setup:
JVC KD-LH3150 HU
Infinity 652i references up front
Boston Acoustics RX97s for the hatch cover
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
If you want to enclose 6x9's then I would do any more then .25 cu ft,    or you could just go with a set of 6.5 mids...dont bother porting     6x9's dont put out enough bass to consider porting
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
GSR..........Me personaly ,I would just mount the 6 x 9s directly to the hatch cover with NO enclosure at all. 6 x 9s are designed to work better in a free air enviroment anyway. Usually the most important thing to remember is to keep the front sound waves of the speaker seperate from the rear sound waves. This should work out like as if they were mounted in the rear shelf of a family car. Just my opinion.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
GSR Jay 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the advice so far. I've got two conflicting opinions here. I cut the new hatch cover out of 3/4" MDF earlier this evening and the holes for the mitts are cut too.
Can anyone definitively tell me whether I should go with the enclosures or not? All I'm really looking for is low frequency response from the speakers. Which of the two recommended setups produces better lows?
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
definately have them free aired, just make sure that the backs are sealed out of the car like rushman said. you would be better off with some 8" woofers, even cheap ones will be better suited. i tried out some nx97's and even those ones sounded like garbage below 140hz
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

leave the holes for the 6x9's open and put a 10" sub in your trunk.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
That's a sweet idea Alpine guy.  I'm looking at doing that to my trunk right now.  Put in a fiberglass rear deck and leave the openings of my 6x9 open and make an area for some 6.5".  Not sure yet but... A hatchback doesn't have to travel through much material (well in this case it does .75" mdf) but normally you get a good openish area to the cabin with a hatchback.  But a single 10" should be good.  Blend those 6x9 holes to make them a little area that's open to the hatch and put in some 6.5" speakers.
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
you could just install the 6 x 9 speaker grills with out the speakers just to cosmeticly cover the holes and let the bass from the subs come thru there. Just another idea. That ones free.......LOL
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
Forget the 6x9s. A single decent sub will give you much more quality bass.
If you want low budget here's what I'd do: take out the 6x9's. Buy a 4 channel amplifier. Bridge 2 of the channels to an efficient 10" sub. Use the other 2 channels for your   speakers up front.
Based on what you already have I think this is the shortest and cheapest path to quality sound.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
GSR Jay 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
If anything it's more of a space issue. I use the trunk area a lot and I can't have a big box with subs taking up valuable real estate. I used to drive a pair of JL 8" subs in a ported box that I made for my Integra but it consumed the entire trunk of my tiny Civic. They're gone now. I've been considering the Infinity Basslink as a possible alternative but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to spend more money on a 14 year old car.
Anyone know where you can buy a Basslink in Canada?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic