icon

New Idea but need help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Vizionary 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

I'm going to install a cell phone car charger that is hidden into my ashtray of my 95 Olds Aurora . This is similiar to when Hzemall custom installed Ipods (okay, just a little bit similiar). Anyway I'm at a loss how to connect the cell phone charger to the power of the cigerette lighter - ALSO I plan on putting a miniture rocket switch so its not charging constistantly....but how do i manager to connect to the power of cell phone charger?

ANY HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Thanks.

spl-Hz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

1 way would be to by a female cigarette ligter and hard wire to the back of the vehicle cig lighter. then stash that peice in the dash and interrupt the 12volt wire with your rocker switch. Just an idea!

Vizionary 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  

Thats what I was actually thinking for the most part - but this will be my first custom job - besides my cd changer behind the arm rest in the trunk....

1) How do you interrupt the 12 volt wire with the rocker switch? I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find out how.                                                                 

2) How exactly do you connect the cell phone car charger to the female cigarette lighter? Strip off the end (this is what I assumed so far) and solder to it?

Thanks for the help.

SmokeyJMB 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

go to like auto zone and buy a cig. lighter socket and hardwire that in and plug you cell phone into that. if you cut the end of your charger it can cause a few things to happen like not charge correctly or damage your phone. make sure to leave the cig. plug on the charger and hide that in your dash.

DO it right, Don't use SONY
Vizionary 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
How would I go about hardwiring another cigerette lighter socket (already have two in my ashtray) Any idea's what wires from the 'extra' lighter socket connects to what exactly?
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
Use a Ditigal Mulitmeter to figure out which wire are pos and neg on your existing lighters,    and run a lead off the pos wire to you new lighter. smae goes for the ground or you can ground to the frame,   wire your switch in to either your pos of neg wires, probably better to wire into you neg wire to prevent surges,   look at this post to understand a little better about wiring to the ground
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=41398&PN=1
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
Use a Ditigal Mulitmeter to figure out which wire are pos and neg on your existing lighters,    and run a lead off the pos wire to you new lighter. smae goes for the ground or you can ground to the frame,   wire your switch in to either your pos of neg wires, probably better to wire into you neg wire to prevent surges,   look at this post to understand a little better about wiring to the ground
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=41398&PN=1
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Vizionary 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  

Sweeeeet......thanks jeffchilcott - I plan on doing this in the next couple of months when i get some free time. I'll try and post some before and after pictures.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic