icon

What subs/amp combo for SQ in a convert

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

I am completely redoing my 94 mustang convertible. I jsut put together a 3 way dynaudio setup for my fronts Tri-amped with high quality amps. I need new subs and amps for bass. Whats the best way to go? I am leaning torwards Image dynamics, maybe 4 10". They are suposed to be SQ subs that need little space (and little power too from what Ive read). What would you guys recomend to put in the trunk? Amp, subs, enclosure style, and how many?

Thanks!

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse 10" aluminum or titanium in nice small sealed boxes. Once you choose the sub then we can point you in the right direction for an amp to power them.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

Excellent choice on the Dyn 3-way.  I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it.  Image Dynamics is a good choice.  My IDQ operates in a tiny sealed box, gets loud, stays clean, and doesn't require much power - I'm only running 200w to my 10".  I've been very happy with Image Dynamics.  In a convertable I might suggest stepping up to 12" drivers.  You won't have the cabin gain that helps most smaller drivers out.  I think 2 12" drivers with enough power will be more than enough to match your Dyn set.  You are obviously interested in quality - you don't need the subs to completely over power the mids / highs. 

How do you like the Dyn set?  What crossover are you using? 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
quick4321 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
They dyn's are going to be run tri-amp'd and X-over with an old school EPX2. I bought Monitor amps (zapco guy designed them) to run them. Im starting to narrow down my subs to Memphis (3'10's I ran b4 were louds as hell). or I might try the IDQ's. Ive heard those eclipse before and they sound as good as they look. Damn this is to hard to choose.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Ok with 4 ten inch subs you arn't going to be able to hear your dyn audio front speakers at all.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
eclispe     and eclipse    hehe
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
quick4321 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
The reason I want to go with 4 10" is for looks (A trunk full of subs) and when I want to play a little (get loud) and get the person in the car next to me to turn their head I can. Do you think 4 10"s is complete overkill or can I tweak 4 10"s to sound good when I want them to "Daily Driving" but get loud on occasion (the beach LOL)? If its over kill what should I go with? 1,2,3 10's? Im down to either IDQ, eclipse or Diamond audio. Am I excluding any subs that I sould be considering? I dont think its really worth it to put 600 a sub focals in the trunk because Im not going to be able to here the slight difference in SQ when the tops down and the engine is on (correct me if Im wrong). Im leaning torwards the IDQ's becasue I can install them in .68 cubic feet enclosures and they run 250w RMS. Are the eclipse that much better? Money is not my biggest concern, so if the eclipse or another brand is a better choice please let me know. I plan on trying to go see a dealer who sells eclipse in the near future, I held a competion at my restaurant a few years back and a guy did 3 10" eclipse in a custom Fiberglass box that sounded incredible, but I have a friend now with 1 10" IDQ thats pretty amaizing too.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic