icon

which way will give me better sound?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 3:47 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 1994 Mustang convertible. I have a 3 way dynaudio setup. My original plans are 8" dynaudio in  a sealed box in the doors. (custom fiber glass). Then I was going to run the 6.5"mid and tweeter in a custom kick pannel setup.  ( this is how my two way setup was run)

BUT....  I see a lot of people putting their tweeters in the stock location where the Mac460 tweet is housed. (at the top of the door in a little pod). Ive been told throughout the years that I want my fronts to be as close together as possible to get a natural even sound. I was told if I put the tweeter closer to my ears than the mid is Ill get a horrilbe unatural sound (bad stage). Whats everyones opinion on this? If I put the tweet in the pod above the door I could fit the 6.5 and 8" woofer in the doors and eliminate the need for kick pannels. I want the best sound possible, so please shoot me your thoguhts. ALSO this is a convertible so I lose a lot of sound when the tops down. I was happy with the kickpannel set up I ran previously, but Ive never tried it using the stock pods.

THanks!

Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
One school of thought is to put the tweeter as close to the mid as possible.
But many people put the tweeter in the a pillar for some unknown reason, probably for cosmetic reasons.
If I was building a fresh system I would mount the tweeter as close to the mid as possible. If you have to mount the tweeter in the a pillar try aiming the tweeter straight across at the opposite a pillar not at your head.
If your not sure what you want to do use some velcro to experiment with tweeter locations, you just may find the Sweet Spot. Then of course mount it properly.
Hope this helps.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
The main problem I see with this is if you have them that close to your ears, when you crank it up it is going to be ear-piercing to your eardrums. I would put them together, or as close as possible. I sat in a truck that had the tweeters mounted at the side of the sun visors, and when he cranked up the volume it would kill my ears.
'85 Toy
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Tcole, I guess we were replying at the same time! Pretty much the same ideas though.
'85 Toy
mob.dynam.grad 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
Is your mustang a 5 speed?? if so....how was the fit of the kick panel on the drivers side with the clutch pedal?? I would personally try angling the tweeters and mids toward the windshield.  But so that they are installed infront of your ears....so just more forward on the door....that way u are hearing even reflected sound.  Just an idea.  But i also have a customer who wants me to do something for their 94 mustang GT convertable.  Let us know what happens and what you do. 
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
it really depends. If the system is some what balanced then you could bring the tweeter up closer to your ears (but not by much) and have is still sound pretty good to you. the reason alot of people mount their tweeters high is because they "think" that the highs should higher in the air. I actually had a guy tell me that he "wanted his highs up high and his lows down low". I used to make that mistake myself. I'd take Tcole's suggestion and find a spot where they sound good to YOUR ears. That's where I would at least start.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   which way will give me better sound? -- posted image.
quick4321 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
I originally put the tweet/mid in a custom kick pannel. Yes I have a 5 speed and that limited the size of hte kick pannel drasticly. Thats why I am goign with the 3 way. With the 8" dynaudio in a sealed box in the door itself Ill get that mid bass I was lacking before, becasue I didnt have a decent sized sealed inclouse for the mid. The 2 way setup that was in a super small enclosure, but it still was the best sounding set of fronts Ive ever ran. (im comparing to old school MB quarts, Boston acoustics. That Ive run in the past)
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

You want the tweeter as close to the midrange as possible.  Many reasons for this - don't have time to make a long post now.  Check out the loudspeaker cookbook for reasons in the meantime if you'd like.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
quick4321 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Ya Im convinced that I will run mid/tweet in custom glass kickpannels and run hte 8" woofer in a custom sealed box inthe door pannels. I think itll sound like crap turned up with the top down and the tweets so close to my ears, even if  I point them away from my head.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic