icon

what do I need for base?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tekkno 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, I'm very new to all of this are car audio stuff, so I need some help.  I want some bass for my car and I was wondering what I all needed. just gunna run to walmart and get some generic stuff. Just because I want something cheap, but with a little more bass then my car has now.  Any information would be usefull.  Was thinking on getting 2 10"ish subs And an amp if I need it?  please include the wires I will need and maybe some installation pic's/process  info.  Thanks!

-Paul

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
Do yourself a favor.  Go to a CAR STEREO shop.  Walmart is a great place to buy toilet paper.  If you want a stereo that sounds like toilet paper, shop there.
Support the12volt.com
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

lol.  Yeah dyohn's got this one.  Yeah do your self a huge favor (and the rest of us too) go and atleast upgrade to Audiobahan.  what do I need for base? -- posted image.   If you're looking for more bass but not a whole lot then look into some aftermarket speakers.  Those usually help with the ability to put out better frequency range.  If you really want a sub then go to circuit city and get an Alpine or Infinity reference 10" sub.  Buy a prefabricated box and a cheap amp.  Run your power and ground and you've got a little bass that will sound better and last much longer then any walmart toilet paper.  Also bazooka makes some really good bass tubes.  The come as just a sub in a tube or an amplified system.  Plug and chug.  Good, space efficient, and idiot proof.

Here's what I would do.  Cheap and good for a little bass.

Sub:   http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Infinity-10--Subwoofer--1030W-/sem/rpsm/oid/71444/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Amp:   http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Alpine-Mono-Subwoofer-Amplifier--MRP-M350-/sem/rpsm/oid/69339/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Enclosure:   http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YyLyy8FDs2X/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=178650&I=044H6510SE

You can get a wiring kit for the amplifier at walmart (get a 8 gauge kit).  Overall this will run bout $350ish if you get it all from retail stores.  Ebay is a good place to get discount stuff.  I can guarantee that you will be happier with this (or any other setup like so) then a wal-mart POS.

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
Well put DYohn.  Dont waste your money on wal mart crap.  You will be happier in the future because that wal mart stuff wont last very long or sound very good.
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
Tekkno, if you give me a price range I could probably look up a nice low cost setup for you. Also, what kind of music do you listen to? That will help in making a selection as well.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

This would be a good yet inexpensive system:

MB Quart Discus 12" sub: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5MaPIpQefas/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=208150&I=049DWE304S

Lightning Audio Bolt amplifier: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5MaPIpQefas/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=130&I=495B22501

That about 230 right there which is great for an entry level system.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
I just gotta hand it to you guys...five of you led this lad on the road to a good start and saved him from the cesspool of audio disaster.  Good tips there, every one.  tekkno, got yer ears on?  Best unbiased and selfless advice you'll ever get about car audio right here on the12volt.  Just be sure to take it.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
 well if u need a lil' bass...lol then we can all agree u should go buy eight Jl Audio 13.5" W7's with a 1000.1 jl amp on each one. shouldnt cost much more than wal mart. lol. just kiddin'
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"
lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
no wait, thats the system i want. man!what do I need for base? -- posted image.
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  

You may check out the Infinity Bass Link......

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/category.aspx?Ser=BSL

I havent sold one of these in years....If anyone knows of a good reason not to go this route please speak up...I never had a reason to not use them back in the day...But I havent messed with them lately.....

I have sold these a couple of times to older customers who enjoy their music but just need a little more bass channel....They always sounded great when installed properly..

what do I need for base? -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic