icon

Measuring Current

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  

Can you measure DC current with a clamp-on meter like the Protek 307?  I looked at the specs and they say it has a 400 and 1000 A range for AC/DC.  Does anyone know how you can measure the current without breaking the circut like these meters do it?

If you can't measure DVA then what is the best way to accuratly figure out how many amps you're pulling from your amp with everything on.  Fuses will blow fast so if you connect a few in series and keep taking some out until they blow you will figure out the peak amps you're drawing. If you use thermal breakers in series it will give you more of an RMS amp draw right.

If you can read DVA with a clamp on DMM then which one do you suggest I should buy and where from.

Poly Dollies
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
The meter uses inductive measurment. The protek 307 will do what you are after.
If you require measuring very low mA current, this unit only measures down to 100 mA. Therefor, it cannot capture true parasitic current draws if that is what you are after.
Nice unit to use for the amplifer current draw, it will do the job your after for sure.
Knowledge is power. But only if you apply that knowledge in a positive way, which promotes positive results in others.
EVIL Teken . . .
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  

Electricians and Installers alike favor the clamp on for it's ability to read current safely without breaking a circuit.

Some meters come with a clamp and leads too, I'm not sure what the accuracy is, but it would do the trick for automotive use. Pay attention to the direction of the current (n/a with AC).

Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

DVA = ?

Clamp on meters are nice.. as always, if you can afford it, Fluke makes nice ones. Make sure that the clamp on meter you buy does DC.. some only do AC. For low level measurements <10amps or so, I just break the circuit and wire an ammeter in.

Regards,

Jim

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Also, to follow up on Jim's reply. The resolution, and the accuracy (%) percentage is important.
BTW: Other meters use the Hall Effect principle, which is extremely accurate and versitile.
Knowledge is power. But only if you apply that knowledge in a positive way, which promotes positive results in others.
EVIL Teken . . .
hurtado_roberto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  

DVA.. uppps.  It was supposed to be DCA.

I really don't think I need to get a meter with extreamly high accuracy in my opinion.  In the 100-150 dollar price range I'm looking at there should be some good meters with good enough accuracy right.  My electronics profesor suggested a Fluke meter.  I'm not too experienced with hardware brands so I asked him about snap-on and he said that if they had one it would be an overpriced model from another company.  Is this usually the case with snap-on?

Poly Dollies
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
hurtado_roberto wrote:
I really don't think I need to get a meter with extreamly high accuracy in my opinion.  In the 100-150 dollar price range I'm looking at there should be some good meters with good enough accuracy right.
The one you are looking at will do the job just fine.
hurtado_roberto wrote:
My electronics profesor suggested a Fluke meter.
Excellent suggestion on his part. I would ask you to look at any tool which you decide on, as a investment.
If you look at it this way, then the reason to spend money on anything, is more practical, and reasonable on the pallet & wallet.
hurtado_roberto wrote:
I'm not too experienced with hardware brands so I asked him about snap-on and he said that if they had one it would be an overpriced model from another company.  Is this usually the case with snap-on?
Snap-On is an excellent brand. But as I stated before, the unit you are looking at will do the job perfectly. There are many other great companies who can do the job as well as Snap-On.
BTW: Snap-On does not manufacure any electronic equipment on site, it is either rebadged equipment, or is designed on their behalf based on their specifications. They do however manufacture and R&D all their basic hand tools.
EVIL Teken . . .
overworked 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
Whats wrong with Ohms Law?
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
overworked wrote:
Whats wrong with Ohms Law?
Ohms law will only tell you the static electrical flow, which is a educated guess based on the information given.
This assumes that the load does not change, but remains the same.
It will not however tell you the dynamic current draw in any given moment in time. Such as in a amplifier, based on volume levels.
ie, He could be drawing only 1 ampere, at level 1, when he wants to know what the actual live current draw is at various SPL which may be important to him.
EVIL Teken . . .
hurtado_roberto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

Are you refering to the true RMS ratings on meters?  I looked at the protek and fluke clamp-on and they both stated true RMS current in AC but not in DC.  So If I were to test the amps my alt is outputting then would it be fluctuation too much for me to read?  Do you think these meters have a DCA RMS setting too and they state true ACA RMS because of the power factor in AC?

Poly Dollies
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic