the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1996-1999 cadillac deville fiver op wire?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
hey fellas, just wondering who might have some input on a deck install for a 96-99 caddy... I guess their a real trip. you supposedly need what is called "9 wire" which is supposed to be fiber op wire that is ran from the brain box located on the back of the back seat and these wires need ran all the way from the trunk to the dash??? I have never got the chance to do this and any info is always greatly appreciated! peace
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"
lathan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
sorry, meant "fiber" in my title...
Lathan Hites
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Hmmm.... no fibre optic that I've seen. The "deck" that's in the dash is merely a control surface, cd/tape player, and that's it. It outputs contol signal for the audio (bass/treb/bal/fad/vol), L/R audio from whatever media player is in the unit itself, and control for the tuner. 9 wires. What does this mean for you? Well, either way you look at it... you're pulling wire.... lots of wire. If it's the 11 speaker system.... ugh. All speakers are active, driven from the main amp/controller behind the back seat. Take your choice.
1) Use a deck, and change all speakers to normal componentry with passive crossovers. Pull speaker wire from all locations to dash cavity.
2) Using an apprpriate number of amps, actively amplify the factory stuff, using factory wiring at the factory amp location.... pull RCA's, Power, etc. Still not fun.
These cars are evil evil evil GM vehicles to say the least. Not one of the easiest deck installs you'll ever do.... plan a day.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
lathan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
hey thanks man. I totally agree about the whole gm thing. I had never encountered one of these before and neither had any of the guys in my bay. luck of the draw maybe? who knows. I just hate the thought of not knowing how to do something. thanks for ur help!
Lathan Hites
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

9 wire isnt fiber optic...Its simply 9 pairs of wire inside one casing so you dont have to pull all nine speratly its all bundled in a nice neat Single piece...But yeah the stereo in those cars were designed by Satan himself if only to punish anyone who tries to put aftermarket deck in ....

I hate them...

Good luck and have fun

1996-1999 cadillac deville fiver op wire? -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
rolln_on_em 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
is this the same stereo with a ribbon cable behind it
Yeah I drive a slow car; but damn it looks good
lathan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
no, the ribbon cable comes in like an 01 bonneville. thank god scosche has a harness for it now. and thanks Asmodeus. I had no idea what that wire was. someone had told me that they thought it was fibre optic. so besides running wires everywhere- how does it connect to the brainbox in the back? as in an aftermarket deck being put in.
Lathan Hites
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
I will cry the next time I do another 11 speaker cadillac setup, half way through the install I noticed that I had half the frickin interior out of the inside and not to mention the the head scratchin that was involved figuring out the ohm configuration to rewire all of those speakers.  quick tip bring paper, pencil, resistors and a whole lot patience. but when your done you will feel like you just broke the code to the pentagon confidential files...LOL 
Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic