Diff Ohm Load, Same Amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Bennycraig 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

Wasup yall,

okay heres the issue.  will running two 4ohm speakers(boston fx7's) and two 3ohm speakers(boston pro60's) of the same amp(alpine MRP-F240) casue any issues like blowing my amp or speakers or anything.  i got them hooked up now and they sound good but im not sure if this will cause me trouble.  also since the amp is 40wX4 at 4 ohms and 50wX4 at 2 ohms what would the amps power be running in this setup?   also would hooking up the fx7's to the hu so i could bridge my amp to run at 100wX2 for the pro60's sound okay.  yall think it would sound funny runnin two speakers off the hu and the rest off amps?  any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

thanks

ben

Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
There have been a few cases where Ive ran mids and highs off the head unit and only amplify the bass. Much like just adding a sub system to a factory set up. This is ok as long as you dont over power the subs to drown out the mids and highs. Maybe it also depends on your sound goals in the vehicle. Alot of newer head units come with pretty good power right out of the box , not like outboard power but still decent .
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
You should be fine to run a configuration like this on your amp. I don't see any reason why not.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Bennycraig 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the reply rushman.

okay to be more specific

Alpline CDA-9827 H/U which i was thinking about hookin up the 2 boston fx7's to and then run the boston prod60's off the alpine mrp-f240 amp bridged and my two 12" JL W0's will be connected to kendwood kac-7201 amp bridged.  will this over power the highs since the rms on the hu is only pushin 18watts rms.  also will it mess with the front, rear and center channels??? 

thanks

Bennycraig 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
You should be fine to run a configuration like this on your amp. I don't see any reason why not.

thanks 4bidden.  will the wattage be equal to all four speakers or will the 3 ohm's get more juice.???

Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
I think you should be ok to set it up like that. You will need to spend some time to adjust your gains on those amps to get the balance you want. The prod60s may overpower the fx7s a little but again just work with the gains and play with it a while till your happy.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

To reply to the first question below my last post this is a good idea as well. It will definitely give the front stage much more authority. Should you go down this path a good set of 200uf caps inline on the + speaker lead to each rear speaker will act as a basic crossover to keep the damaging lower frequencies at bay.

For your second question the wattage will not be equal to all speakers but don't worry about that. This is due to the fact that the speakers will be mounted in different locations, may be of differing efficencies and of course the gains on the amp need to be set so that the rear speakers are not drowning out the front speakers.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Bennycraig 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

thanks guys,

well the boston pros came with xovers.  would i still need the caps?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
I think those crossovers just split the full signal to higher and lower outputs, but they wouldn't include a 3-way which would highpass the frequencies to the woofer.  The caps will provide that highpass.  Since you're not running them off an amp through a high pass filter, the caps would be used as the filter.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic