icon

Q about Vacuum lock relay diagram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eiknujrac 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

According to the relay diagram for a Vacuum lock system on this site, you need a Fused 12v source. Does this mean I can use for example the 12v to the ignition or cigarette lighter that is already fused? Or do I need to draw power from the battery with an inline fuse matched to the relays rating?

And one more question, the diagram shows 2 wires that send a 2 second negative pulse. My alarm has two choices of wire. One that sends a (-) Lock/ (+) Unlock, and one that sends a (+) Lock/ (-) Unlock. Which one would I use? And would I split it to send to each relay?

Ps. The Alarm is a Crimestopper CS2016 FM, and the car is a 1991 Benz 300E

eiknujrac 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

I found the answer to my second question, but still don't know whether to use a fused wire straight off the battery, or a fused source like the cigarette lighter or ignition wire.

Anyone?

Ben.c 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

You could use the constant power source from your alarm , just splice this power source off that wire but connect it after the alarm fuse. I would not reconment useing something like a cigarette lighter as this in most vehicles is a accessory power only , I have always picked up the constant power source from the ignition switch for alarm and central locking.

If your alarm has on board relays for locking it should show you how to wire it for a vacuum locking system in your install manual , but if it has only got a selectable negative or possitive pulse outputs that are only rated in the milliamp range you would have to use relays.

ozy installer
eiknujrac 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks

spicyburritto 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
eiknujrac, i had the same question about which wires to use for the relay.  What did you find out as far as +) lock/(-)unlock or the opposite for the mercedes vacuum locks?
Think about it first.
Ben.c 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
If you follow the diagram on the web site you should use negative pulse from your alarm for lock and unlock but make sure your system allows the pulses to be delayed to at least 2 seconds . The wire shown at the bottom of the diagram is the blue or green wire leeding to the pump on a merc ( found under the back seat ) this wire is cut and placed in the circuit .
ozy installer
spicyburritto 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Ben, so you're saying that i should use a negative pulse for both the lock and unlock functions?  My alarm system (Alpine SEC-100s) has three leads for the door locks- one that says "unlock (driver's door) [-] (+ lock)"  one that says "Lock [-] (+unlock)" and one that says "All doors unlock (-/+)".  I believe each of these can be configured to be + or -, and i plan to ignore the driver's door lead.  Do you have any idea which wires i should hook into the circuit and exactly how?  Do i need to buy a SPDT relay? any help would be much appreciated.  thanks,

barrett

Think about it first.
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
When you press the lock button on your remote, the (-) unlock/(+) lock sends a positive signal, and the (-) lock/(+) unlock sends a negative signal.
Reverse the above for pressing unlock. The diagram assumes you're working w/ the negative pulses, so ignore the (+) part and just look at the (-) part-- often green will be (- lock) and blue (- unlock).
So, in other words, you need to use both wires-- one (- lock) goes to your "locking" relay (the one that has pin 87 connected to ground), and the other to the "unlocking" relay (the one that has pin 87 connected to 12V).
Spicyburritto-- the wire that says driver's door is probably the better one to use if you're not hooking up both-- otherwise you'll probably have to hit unlock twice to unlock your doors. Check w/ your manual to be sure...
You will have to buy 2 SPDT relays, rated at least 12V and at least 5 amps.
spicyburritto 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
thanks hagmanti,  i appreciate your in-depth explanation.  Is there any trick as far as setting up the relays?  Do i just need to solder the correct wires to the corresponding pins on the relay and then insulate them somehow?  Or is there a better way?
Think about it first.
Ben.c 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

Make you life easy a buy some insulated female spade connectors and some crimpers , crimp them onto your wires and plug them onto the appropiate pins of the relays.

Alot neater and easier then soldering onto relays.

ozy installer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic