icon

punch stage 3 or power stage 1

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  
I bought a punch stage 3 in a rockford ported box, hits hard but does sound as good as I want. I can trade it for a power stage 1, but will have to build a box for it. Will this power sub hit hard and clear? what would be a better box in an extended cab with sub right in the middle? Im using a kenwood excelon 811d. The sub is dual 2 ohm so I can go 4 ohm at 500 watts or 1 ohm 1000W. I wan  as much bass as possible but sound very clear. I am changing from 2 memphis power reference 12" subs to just 1 12" sub. I know there is going to be some loss db but hope the power stage 1 will make up for the loss db. am I right or wrong. I only have 10 days to make the decision. please help.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
You could try putting the punch stage 3 sub in a sealed box. It would sound alot better in that then in a ported box that you have right now (it is ported right?). The power stage 1 sub will have worse SQ than the stage 3, but if you are wanting more SPL then go with the power stage 1.
wheelerdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
well I would have to make a sealed box then, I think i will be getting a better deal with the power stage 1, but Im not sure I have heard that the stage 1sounds good but is only 85 db when the punch stage 3 is 87.5 db
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

Not really a good comparison.  You're comapring the speaker efficiencies right?  Yeah that can make a difference but in my opinion the box, location, and amp will make a bigger one.  Although I'm not a RF fan I would pick the power stage 1 in a sealed box.  The sealed will give you more sq and you can run those 1000 watts to it (it can handle that right?).

Oh and sealed boxes aren't that hard to make.

wheelerdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
As far as I know yes, 600 rms and 1200 peak. I have run fosgate alot and they are very underrated.I have been running my 1000 watts on the punch stage 3. Then excursion was about 3" but it handeled it well, and that was in a ported box. But in the ported box right behind my head just isn't working Im hearing to many things like the air coming out of the port and that sucks. I just wondering my friend back home  i talked to this morning said he had a power stage 1 in a sealed box 1.7 cubic feet. 1"mdf professional built and he blew the box apart. is there any material that will be better than mdf
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
he blew 1" mdf with a 1000 watts?  He had some crap wood.  I've never seen 1000 watts blow a properly built 1" enclosure.  Fiberglass can be stronger (with curves; on flat areas the mdf is stronger, given that the mdf and fg are the same thicknesses).  You could brace it with a T brace or put a 2" baffle board and mount the speaker on that.  But that 1" of wood shoud hold that single sub.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
I would hate to be the professional that built that box. How much power did he have on it? To answer your question, MDF is what I build all of my box's out of, and I have never had that problem. You could go with fiberglass also. Just my opinion- 1 12 won't hit as hard as 2 12's if you have the same power, regardless of the model.         
'85 Toy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic