icon

a little confusion about power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know what made me think of this but I am a little confused about something.  It has been said here before by Rob or dyohn im pretty sure that an amp will put out its full power no matter what the gain and such.  Take my amp for example it will put out 1100 watts @1ohm, so each of my subs are getting 550watts.  They will continue to get this regardless of gain, eq or whatever.  So here is my thinking...if the watts stay the same then so should amps.  So why does a stock electrical system go ape sh*t when big bass hits.  1100w is being pushed regardless of volume or freq right? Does this make sence?  I think i may of have confused myself.  Oh and i do not have this problem as i do have a HO alt.  This is just a thought and i am trying to better understand car elecronics.
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
A little confusing, yes.  The amp is capable of reaching its maximum output at all times when the gain is set correctly according to the input voltage.  It will only max out when deck is at full volume and source material is extreme.  If you were to hook up a multimeter to the speaker outputs (any of them) on the amp, you will see a widely diverse voltage output according to volume, etc.  Turn up the deck volume and you'll see the voltage increase.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
netboy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

so then a amp doesnt always put out its rated watts, but rather fluctuates?

Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

Yeppers, like I said...according to input volume and music source.  That's why you set the gain on the amp while the deck is putting out maximum clean signal (max clean volume) with a steady sound source.

The original source for this, as I remember DYohn writing of it, was to dispel the notion that increasing the amp gain would allow the amp to perform to it's fullest capability.  The answer was that the amp gain is set according to input voltage, and once set the amp will perform to its fullest.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
netboy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

ok cool, i guess that makes more sense now....for some reason i was under the understanding that wattage was constant

Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
stevdart 
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
I think "RMS" is partly to blame for that.  One might think of a driver as getting RMS watts no matter how loud one plays the system, whereas it really means "the wattage (power) the driver can sustain without failing .....all day long".  With an amplifier, rated power refers to the power it can provide within the specs set forth in the rating.  But both definitions are idealistic, as a lot of manufacturers seem to find ways to fudge their ratings.  It's definitely a confusing bit of nonsense, which is one reason why this forum is so valuable and so much fun!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic