icon

reversed loading of sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

I just recieved my new subs. I went with 3 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1Ds. Since i have gotten them i have been thinking of different ways to build a box to have it be visually attractive. One idea that came to mind is loading one of the subs in with the magnet and motor out of the box and the cone pointed in the box. I have seen this before but i think i have read that you have to wire the sub differently. My question is how do you do this, and has anyone had experience with doing this and how will it effect the performance of the sub. Thanks

Allen

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
boostedcivic 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

I would run with a set of binding posts and then wire the speaker lead through the box and to the posts. from there just use the jacks that are now on the outside of your box. hope that helps.

jason 

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, the inverted sub is wired with polarity opposite of the normal subs.  Just use whatever diagram you will be using, and change the inverted one + to -.  Post up a diagram of what you are going to do with the three subs to get to the ohm load you want.....or tell us.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jvillefinest 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

ok i want around a 2 ohm load to put about 1200 watts to the 3 subs so around about 400 to each which is about the rms of the subs. ok so i just put the - to the + for one voice coil and the same for the other? just making sure im getting ya!

thanks

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
What are the subs, as far as # of voice coils (SVC or DVC) and the ohms of each?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jvillefinest 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
they are dual 4 ohm voice coils
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
stevdart 
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

Wire like this diagram shows, series/parallel:

reversed loading of sub -- posted image.

Except, in your case one of the subs is inverted so its polarity has to be reversed in relation to the two other subs.  We'll use the middle sub in the next diagram as the inverted:

As you can see, the coils on each sub are wired as normal in series:  one coil pos to the other coil neg.  It is when the subs are connected in parallel that the inverted sub reverses polarity.  This will net you 2.67 ohm load on the amp, the lowest these three subs will wire to.  As the three subs fire in phase, the two normally-mounted subs will project the cone forward as the third reverse polarity inverted sub will project the cone backward.  All three will be in phase.

Sound quality should be just as good as if all three were normal.  Make sure you take into consideration the difference in air volume in the enclosure, though.  The inverted sub will not be taking up space inside the box, and in fact will add to the space a bit with the air inside the cone area.  The example below illustrates that, with the gray area representing the air inside the box:

Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

Make sure when you invert the sub that you get it centered in the hole so that when the sub fires that the outer rubber surround wont be hitting the box this way you dont wear a hole in your rubber surround..

Easiest way to do this is install the inverted sub first and if you can reach in and feel around the surround to make sure its not touching....Depending on the sub you may need to open the hole up little bit to get clearance....

If you can reach in just place the sub in its hole and then move it around and find where it touches then split the distance on the amount of play and just guess as to where center is in the hole....

Good luck

Making the World A Louder Place

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic