the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

why no range on my new viper 2 way alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Blackiewrx 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, i recently installed that new viper vx??? somthing series that has the two way led remote and remote start and stuff, well the range is supposed to be excellent on these alarms but mine only works maybe 50ft away from the car, it wont even page me or confirm arm or disarm unless im pretty close to it. What might make the range suck so bad on my alarm. BTW The "high range" antenal is mounted on my upper pass side windshield sidways on the glass( well away from the brain). what could cause this crappy range problem??
03 wrx stage 4
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
antenna needs to be center of the windsheild pointing down. Second, you have a bad ground or a pinched antenna cable, I get consistent 1500+ feet range from these units.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
fbird08 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
I have never had a problem with any of those because of where the antenna is mounted on the windshield. Think about it you put it on the side vs. in the middle. so if you park 1/2 a parking space to the right the antenna is in the same spot as if you put it in the middle of the windshield. The problem with the range is probably related to your ground or antenna wire like extreme1 briefly stated. If you have a poor ground you will have poor range. Also make sure you are grounding to a good piece of metal like in the kick pannel not a secondary piece of metal like a dash support bracket. If you bunch the antenna wire up in any spots (like ball the excess up and ziptie it somewhere) you also tend to lose range, not a lot but some. I generally take the excess and evenly run it up and down the pillar next to the windshield, under the pannel of course.
Money is just paper
Power is fleeting
But your word is everything,
If your word means nothing,
You are nothing...think about it
Blackiewrx 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
its mounted behind some very dark 3% tint and also right againts the metal pillar, do you think i should move it? and where would be the best place? And thanks about the grounding advice i will check that too.
03 wrx stage 4
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
umm, yes yes you should, most dark tint is metallized. and being that close to metal a pillar can also cause reduced range.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic