icon

JL 13w7 Blown!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cfurtick 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
I have a customer with 2 JL 13w7 subs that are "roasty, toasty". These subs are not covered under warr and JL wants $475 Through one of their authorized dealers to repair this item. My question is does anybody know of any other ways to get these repaired with out paying $475. I am sure this is MSRP on having these speakers fixed so I know that it is being mark up by the dealer. But I thought someone else may have had this problem and knew of a way to get a recone kit etc.
Thanks
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
I honestly havent heard of anyone blowing w7's   They will be costly to fix im sure.   What type of amp were they running these subs on???
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

$475 isn't that bad considering that they go for at least 999 a peice and they are pretty complex subs. I highly doubt that you could buy a kit to repair them... Make sure the person who is running them sets their amp right or has the subs in a proper box also.

boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

yeah those are some crap expensive subs.  And to blow one is incredible.  Must have been couple thousands watts rms going to them.  Or a crappy amp.

bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
most likely a crappy amp...about a year ago all i heard from those subs around here was what they sounded like blown...i live in a town full of morons...in my experience w7s just cant handle dirty power even if its enough power...this statement might start a riot by a fanboy...but thats all i'm used to seeing...sorry
cfurtick 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
He had a mmatts 1400 on each sub and yes when we checked the amp the gains were almost wide open. I understand that these are "complex" speakers but $475 is a bit much I think. I found out JL charges $275 to repair these subs but they will not repair them unless you go through an authorized dealer which marks up the fix to $475.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

Like previously mentioned though.  Concidering the sub's bout $1000 new if they renew it for $475 then that's not too bad.  If you look at any sub and i mean any sub you will find that a crap amp putting a cliped signal to a sub will fry it in a second, seriously a second.  No sub can handle a bad signal for any period of time (maybe a minute at most).

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
If this guy had the money to buy 2 $1000 subs and 2 over $1000 amps, then I think he will be willing to pay $475 a piece to get them fixed.  If money is a big deal, he can sell one of the amps.  One of those would be enough power for those subs, obviously one per sub is to much, especially when the gains are so set incorrectly
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

You should contact JL and tell them the situation.  If JL charges 275 to repair the speakers it sounds like they would repair your customers speakers for 275.  Now the problem is does he have a receipt.  If he has a receipt I don't think that JL would turn down repairing a customers speaker if they would like him to be a return customer.

With that kind of money the guy spent on his system they should be more than happy to repair the subs or lose the customer to another company along with his friends. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic