icon

Decent SQ system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
t0kinl3lunts 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone, I was wondering what would be a decent system to put in my truck.  I have space for 4" up front in the dash, 6"x9" in the mid pannels, and I was gonna make a custom box to hold a sub behind the rear wheel well.  What I'm looking for is a setup that will give me relatively lound volume and low response without distorting at a reasonable price.  I'd like to keep it below 1k becuase I have heard it done for that, and that is approaching the cost of the vehicle .Decent SQ system? - Last Post -- posted image.

For a sub I was thinking an Infinity Perfect 10" because of the low response I've heard about.  I'm not sure what size would be good but I think with around 250 watts one will be able to fill the whole cabin.  What else from JL, infinity or any other company would be a good choice here?  And an amp to push it?

For the 4" I was looking at component sets but I don't know whats good.  They will be getting 26 watts from the deck unless I need maybe a 4ch amp or something.  Would 2-way 6x9s fill it out good for the back seat?

Thanks for all the info,

Matt

My ride: 1986 S-10 BLAZER 4x4
Current project: getting everything running right and putting in a decent system
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
Well...a budget.  Yeah JL is not the best of choices.  One of my favorite companies but on the expensive side.  If you want to look into a 10" or 12" w3v2 one of those should do good.  But for the money you can get a good Infinity Kappa (not the perfect just kappa) with some money to spare on a better amp or components or beer to drink after.  Decent SQ system? - Last Post -- posted image.   The Kappa 10" handles a good 275-300 watts.  I can vouch for them b/c I'm running one right now.  They're clean.  Don't put out massive sound but for the price and what you're looking for it'll probably do good.  Look into an MTX amp.  Rockford, Alpine, Kicker, Phoenix gold all make some decent amps.  Stay away from audiobahan (my opinion) and the Infinity ams and kenwood too (i've heard mixed things about the infinity and i've got a kenwood that's not all that great).  For components I like Infinity also.  Like before, good price and great quality.  For 6x9 look into Polk's MOMO carbonfiber 2way speakers (might be 3).  They're really nice sounding and give a nice midbass sound.  Also might get an amp for those 6x9's.  Wouldn't hurt anything if you have the money left over.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
Are you really going for SQ or just a system that sounds OK?
If actually SQ, here's what I'd do if you really want top sound quality for the price.
1) Buy a decent head unit with an adjustable sub/mid/high 3-way crossover built in.
2) Look into either putting a larger midrange driver in the kick panel or putting a larger midbass driver in the door. 4" is too small for reasonable up front bass.
3) Forget upgrading the 6x9s if your stock ones aren't blown. Rear fill is least important when operating under a budget like yours. Seriously, forget all about spending a bunch of money on your 6x9s if you're actually interested in SQ and put it into your front stage instead.
4) Find a 4-channel amplifier 50x4ish w/ 2 bridgeable channels. Use this to power your front speakers and bridge it to an efficient subwoofer. Kappa 10" looks like a decent choice.
5) Run your stock 6x9's off your deck but buy some bass blockers and some foam speaker hats for them. You only want your sub playing low bass frequencies.
So, the main question here is: How can you put something larger than 4" into your front?
Budget:
1) Head unit ~$200
2) Front speakers ~$200
3) 4-Channel Amplifier ~$300
4) Subwoofer ~$300 (Try to get a dual 2-ohm or single voice coil 4-ohm) - this will work best for bridging an amplifier to.
You should be able to keep this close to 1k. It will probably go slightly over w/ installation. But I think it would be well worth it.
On the other hand, if you are just interested in OK sound that plays loud then:
1) Buy a cheaper head unit w/ some pre-outs for the sub.
2) Buy some 2-way coax speakers for the front. 3-way coax drivers are a totally unnecessary. Buy bass blockers. 300hz for the 4" 100hz for the 6x9s. Don't replace your 6x9s unless you really feel the need to. They will be run off the head unit. Stock 6x9s will be much easier to drive off the head unit than tricked out inefficient aftermarket drivers.
3) Buy a class D amp that puts out 300w at 2-ohms.
4) Buy a subwoofer that is dvc 4-ohm.
This can be done for well under $1k. The bass will get just as loud but you'll have more money in your pocket. The sound quality will not be great.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

FYI if you didn't know that kappa runs $109 i think for the 10" on http://www.crutchfield.com.  One of them will do.  And $200 for some good front speakers?  wow.  I was thinking maybe $150 (max) for a pair of good 6.5".  If I was you I would amplify all your components and have a seperate small 200-250ish watt amp to power the sub.  The amplfied signal will clean up the component signal a little and give it more "loudness".  And to go with a bigger speaker up front....one word:  fiberglass.

Just my $.02

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
I strongly disagree on the price of the 6.5" components. If he is looking at SQ the quality of the front components will be of primary importance. Spend as much money as your pocket book will allow on the front stage.
$150 is too low in my opinion. Even these http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF6000CS
Infinity Reference components run $199.
This is why I asked him if he is really into SQ or just 'OK' sound. Shoot, honestly I would recommend http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFPERFECT61 for $399 for SQ if the budget allowed.
I recommended one amplifier instead of 2 separate amps because of his low budget. Frankly, I wouldn't worry at this point about amping the rear fill. I recommended a 4-channel amp because if he does decide to spend some more money in the future he'll have a 4-channel amp to run the mids/highs and he can buy a larger sub amplifier at that point.
t0kinl3lunts 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses so soon, thanks everyone.  I already have the head unit comming in the mail (birthday gift)  so I only need the rest of the system at this point.  As far as stock speakers go this beast is not in good shape...the 4" in the dash ARE the only speakers so I figured I'd at least get some decent rear speakers, but if you all think that I could go cheap there and splurge somewhere else then I will deeply consider that. 

I think I'm gonna do some scratch and dent shopping on crutchfield so even the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12 VQ (are they really worth it) would still come in under $150 and I'm sure I could find a decent sub amp for around the same price.  I'm not sure how I should go about upgrading to 6.5" in the front, any ideas for speaker pods in S-10s?

And on the amp topic I was planning on doing a mono sub amp and buying a 4ch for the rest of the system in the near future.  Or would it be better to just get one 4ch for now and bridge 2 for the sub.  It says the Blaupunkt pushes 26 watts rms so is it really that big of a step to an amp?

Thanks for your thoughts and info,

~Matt~

Current project: getting everything running right and putting in a decent system
kfr01 
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

First, I'm glad you're getting a Blaupunkt - they are great quality for the money.  Second, yes, an amp will be a huge step up.  It will be a huge step not just in terms of available power, but the power it does put out will be more free of noise and distortion. 

Either glass the kick panels yourself or these Q-Forms work for your Blazer:  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vgZ2rWIdPJa/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=182850&I=044K100313

You don't need to spend any money on rear speakers unless your current ones are blown.  You should barely hear rear speakers in a quality setup.  As you said, splurge on the front - you won't be sorry.

I would not run a pair of components on head unit power.  A pair of quality 6.5" components on a good amp + a quality subwoofer will go a long way toward getting you great sound.  Having these things in place is #1.  Quality installation is #2.  Finding some rear-fill w/ 6x9s or whatever should be your last priority imo.  Splurge on the front.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed with kfr01 with his recommendations for you.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
t0kinl3lunts 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry I havn't replied, I have been working and installing the H/U!  Unfortunately, the guy before me twist/taped the connections after CUTTING OFF the wiring harness so I'm sure you know how much fun it was taking off all the connctions I already soldered and rediong it to the harness in the car...

All I can say is WOW what a difference between an 80's tape player and this new cd/mp3 player (like that was unexpected).  Seriously though it cut almost all the distortion and I can drive the speakers much harder but they are so bad it hurts to listen.  Since I don't have rear speakers I'm thiking that a mid range 6x9 2 way, or maybe even a 6.5 w/ tweeter could actually do the most to help the overall sound quality.  I mean if I'm just gonna fill it out with one of them later why not do it now and take away the horrible imaging of only having front speakers?  Give me some recomendations.

By the way I do have some pics of the install which I will put up as soon as I get the damn cable from my friend.  The kit from crutchfield looks a little goofy and doesn't exactly fit. so I am planning on fixing this when I install my next component.  Also, those butane soldering irons are great except the tip for mine wouldn't heat the wire enough so I just use the flame ,now it works even better.Decent SQ system? - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic