jaanofeastlondo 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

hello

i have 2 12inch vibe subs at 2800 watt peak

a jbl amp at 520 watt

the amp is giving 142rms at 2ohms

the subs where playing fun with nice vibrating bass, but since yesterday, there came this rattling noise. i dont know where from, it hapened twice but went . i aint heard that noise again

today i fitted my 6x9's

the problem is the subs dont make that sort of bass anymore

its not clean. its more thumps then vibrate

does anyone have any idea what can be the problem

i have tried checking the settings on the amp, but no luck

is there a possibility thaat my subs could of blown

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ASAP

jay
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have some area in your car where you can open the cabin to the trunk (asuming you have a cabin)?  Like a fold down armrest to the trunk or something.  The new 6x9 might be hampering the sound of the sub in the cabin.  Might not be but just a thought.  The subs might be bad also.
jaanofeastlondo 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

the 6x9s are in the side panels . no where near the sub.. the sub were working fine before

any other suggestions

jay
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
My guess is Vibe = Lanzar = poor quality.  You may have simply blown the subs or they wore out.   Or the 6X9s are out of phase with the subs and causing acoustic cancellation.
Support the12volt.com
jaanofeastlondo 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

they are vibe black air, and sounded perfect before

they were only a month old

how could i of blown them..there was not even that mch power going into them only 142 rms

the 6 by 9s are connected directly to the system and not the amp

jay
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

Vibe subs (or any speaker for that matter, but it is more common with the low-end brands) can be bad out of the box.  "One month to failure" is not that unusual for Lanzar gear.

I'm talking about the sub and your 6X9's being out of phase with one another.  It has nothing to do with where they get their power... try this:  If your sub amp has a phase control, change it from 0 to 180 degrees.  If not, try swapping the + and - speaker connections around.  See if there is any improvement.

Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
also you said you are only putting 14x watts to it, you are more prone to destory a sub by underpowering it then overpowering it, if you use a amp correctly with the gains and bass boost set correctly
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jaanofeastlondo 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
MATE thank you very much i have sorted .. i was worried my subs have blown but apparently the wires were mixed up. i changed the wires
jay
jaanofeastlondo 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  

so what do u suggest, shall i change amp, or just sort out the right settings

how many rms would be ideal for each sub?

jay
DYohn 
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

Glad you have it sorted out.  If you have your amp set up properly you are fine using it.  If you like the sound don't change a thing.

The only way you can damage a sub by "underpowering" it is if you are trying to get more out of the amp than it is capable of producing and have it driven into clipping.  There is NO WAY running a speaker with less than its rated power can damage it unless you are clipping the amplifier or feeding it a very badly clipped signal.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic