icon

Car audio in my house

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kamber 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

I've got a 12"  Kicker SoloBaric L7(dual 4 ohm) in a slot ported box that i built, which is about 2.25 cu. ft.. Well, one day i bought new subs for my car, and no longer needed the kicker, so i came up with a great idea (in my opinion anyway). I opened up my powered subwoofer that i have sitting in my room and wired the kicker to that. Im assuming the 8" speaker that came with the powered sub is a 4 ohm sub which would mean the the amplifier supplies 100 watts @ 4 ohms. After wiring the kicker's vc's in parallel, i figured the amp was now producing about 200 watts rms. Then came the day that the amplifier decided it was time to die (oh well Car audio in my house - Last Post -- posted image.). i guess i pushed it too hard.

It just so happens that i've got an Alpine MRP-M350 amplifier that i dont use.Yes, it works. The amp is capable of supplying 350 watts @ 2 ohms, 14.4 volts (the L7 can handle 750 rms). There are 2 20 amp fuses on this amp, for a total of 40 amps (duh!) i was wodering, if i bought a 40 amp power supply, and powered the amp with that, would that be sufficient to run the amp? Would i burn up the power supply by using it all the time, mostly for music, or are bench power supplies only for testing amps, and not for supplying power for continuous periods of time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
There's no problem with this. Chances are you aren't even close to pulling 40 amps through that amplifier. Just know that those power supplies aren't cheap and the fans are loud. I think you'd be better off with this:
http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/AVA250PageFrameText.htm
and buying a Shiva to go with it.
Sell your L7 and Alpine on ebay. You'll be much happier with home audio equipment for home audio use.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
kamber 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the insight krf01, and thanks for directing me to the adire website. I found some really interesting things there! Anyone ever hear of a motor structure that is capable of 12" peak to peak stroke? yes i said 12 inches of peak to peak stroke!!! Check this thing out at adireaudio.com. Its called the Parthenon. when you find it, read the whole article about this beast.

Again, thanks krf01!

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Ya, your home sub was probally actually a 8 ohm sub not a 4 as most are 8 ohms in the home and then you wired the amp to 2 ohms and probally pissed it off. I second the opinion of selling your stuff and buying home audio gear. Always better to use the equipment for its intended purpose.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic