icon

Questions about Fiberglassing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
I am trying to expand my box building from MDF into fiberglass work as well. I am new into all the fiberglass, and while I went to Walmart and bought a quart of Bondo Fiberglass, and have been working with it, tryin to learn from a hands on experience, and being the self-teacher I have been to myself throughout all my car audio stuff. I am wanting some tips. I have been fiberglassing a old box that I had, it had carpet on it, so I just fiberglassed over it and it seems to suck it up pretty well, I am needing to sand it down, a project for tomorrow night. But back to the questions. When I lay my first layer is it always better to use fleece? for the 2nd layer and up is it better to use fiberglass mat? or fiberglass cloth? or just stay with fleece? what is the best way to attach the fleece to the MDF structure? staples? And, lets saying I am going to put "Eclipse" or "Memphis" in the box to give it a stand out 3D effect, should I just use wood? or what is the best way to do that? What does everyone think about using Bondo Fiberglass Jelly? I saw it in walmart, and it looked like a good idea, but it looks like bondo... just green. If you can offer ANY other help, ideas, know-how, things you have learned along the way. or anything, I am wanting to learn more about this and have more fun with it. Please help a interested young man out! Thanks for all the help. As well, if you have any ideas on to make a sweet lookin box for 1 12 inch Eclipse Titanium. out of fiberglass in a Nissan Maxima please let me know. I am brainstorming, and I have... builders block.
Duke Duke
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
First layer fleece.  Second layer and beyond fiberglass.  Fiberglass cloth is a thick and strong material.  Don't do just fleece.  No strength in it.  Many people still go with mat.  But I prefer cloth.  Staples are probably the best to attach fleece to mdf.  Bondo gold is good (i think that's the name of it). 
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
when u use that thickening powder that gives the resin a peanut butter thickness, u only have to use the fleece right?  then any additional build up is inside the box giving the required strength?
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
No never use just fleece.  That's why the call it a fiberglass box.  You use fiberglass.  I've never heard of a resin box.  Maybe it's just me.  But yeah always use fiberglass mat or cloth, atleast 4 or 5 layers of 1.5 oz. mat or 2 layers of 4 oz cloth.  Just my $.02
DukeDuke 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, keep all the help coming, the more the marrier, thanks everyone, I need the help, I am a newbie in the fiber. game
Duke Duke
vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  

The bondo fiberglass jelly you are referring to is called cat-hair and is intended for re-inforcement (stronger than regular Bondo) prior to finish work, it is not what you want to use to build with. Get some all-purpose polyester resin for the buildup with mat or cloth. I personally prefer using the mat as it lays out better. I am by no means a pro, most of my experience comes from working at Sunrunner boats many years ago. Also, you only want to use fleece for shaping (first layer) and mat or cloth after. As far as best way to attach fleece, maybe someone with more experience with that can help? My guess would be staples. Hope this is helpful.

DukeDuke 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
Awesome, thank you, as well, what is all this rage gold and... something else that I have been hearing about using after you fiber. it? does anyone one know where to get it and how much it is? Thanks!
Duke Duke
kyson 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
hello you need to go to a homedepot or any hardware store and get some fiberglass resin not bondo.  bondo is used for filling in, for touch up areas.  it doesnt matter wether you use fleece of fiberglass mat.  its all about preferance the mat is not for structure really as it is to get the nice curves and angles that you want and it is also used  so you have something to build off of.  the strength of the box is going to come from the frame of the box and from the fiberglass and how thick it is but if you use a couple layers of the fleece or the mat you will cut down on the amount of fiberglass you use.  the fleece is going to be more able to strech. 
Nicolas White
DukeDuke 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
I use bondo for the touch-ups, the dents, missed spaces, or where I sanded to much, I understand that, but I went to Wal-mart and purchased a BONDO FIBERGLASS kit, resin and harderen in one kit, I have the Bondo Body Filler as well, and the Bondo Fiberglass Jelly. I have used the Body Filler and Jelly many many times, I am just new to the fiberglassing. How does Bondo Fiberglass Resin compare to what everyone else uses? I have been buying it at wal-mart $9.00 a quart which is pricey, I know I can get a gallon for $25.00 but, my mom owns a paint store and can get any Bondo product, for cost, so it is the cheaper way for me to go, but is there a better way to go? a better brand? ect...? Thanks for the help.
Duke Duke
vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
The bondo resin is just fine to use, its an all purpose polyester resin.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic