icon

power in parallel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dj baracus 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2002 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  

can i run the power to my new amp in Parallel?

i am getting a new amp, that suggests a 120A protection. i want to run it from my fusable dist. block. MAX = 60A (AGU style). can i run 2 wires each from a 60A fuse to the power input on the amp, & splice them back together? is this how power works? or would each lead req. its own 120A fuse?

thanks in advance!

omega 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2002 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  

Actually AGU fuses can be had in 80A variety as well...

DC electricity wire requirements are based on wire gauge and length.  Wire gauge size is what deterines  resistance per unit distance in the wire.

If you are talking about fuse value though, yes, running the wires like that would give you  total of 120A fusing.

What is more important here is the wire gauge size and if that wire gauge size supports such amount of current based on length.  If the amp has internal fusing (fuses on the amp) you should have the main line fused near the battery with as high a fuse rating as you can go with the wire size and length you are using...  If the amp has it's own fuses there is really no need for a fused distribution block--you can actually just use a small peice or 8 gauge wire to bridge the gap in the fuse block if you want and just use one wire to the amp.  (Or just use an unfused block).

The instances where you cannot do this are if the wire size and length going to the amp from the block cannot hold 120A by itself OR if the amp does not have its own internal fusing.

In those cases, what you suggested sounds fine, just use two wires and two fuses.  I'm assuming that you are using 4 gauge or bigger for the main line, correct?  If that is the case you should probably be using two 8 gauge wires from the block (if you go the two-wire way) or one 4 gauge wire if you go the one wire way.  You might be able to get away with just one 8 gauge wire from the block to the amp, if it isn't too long a peice of wire.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic