icon

Need 8.4v to power new PS2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noftsger 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

I currently have the old big version of the PS2 and I use a power inverter to power it. This works fine except it drains my battery rather quickly. Ive been trying to figure out a way to install it in my glove box but it's too big. I have been planning on converting it to 12v, but never got around to it because I wasn't happy with its location.

The release of the new much smaller PS2 ( http://www.us.playstation.com/consoles.aspx?id=3/info/specs_70000.html) has solved the problem of fitting it in my glovebox, but it uses 8.4v instead of 12v.

Is there a way to bring the voltage down to be compatable with the PS2? I've searched for voltage reducers, but I've only found 24v-12v and 12v-6v.

Any input you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

noftsger 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

Would this work?

From   http://www.kansaswindpower.net/dc_accessories.htm.

DC Voltage Reducer

For TVs, stereos, cellular phones, notebook computers and other delicate electronics. Steady output voltage. 1.5-9.6 volts on 12 volt and 5-20 volt on 24 volt model (preset at 12.6 volts). 88% peak efficiency, 0.014 amps idle.  Removes voltage spikes, power surges and ground loops.  Can be used for battery charging. Not recommended with motors.  Not recommended for most phones and answering machines because the phone ground will cause a buzzing sound if this voltage reducer is connected to a battery which is grounded on the negative side.

D336 2 amp, 12 volt, 2 lbs, $61   

dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Careful with the glove box install. I know a friend that tried that in his Lexus, and the PS2 would not play at that angle. CD/DVD changers seem to work fine, but not the PS2, I would try it out, and try it driving, too.
I am working on a PCB for that design, too (my first PS2 was regulated, too).
The DC voltage you need is 8.5V @ 5.3A. I think a 9.0V regulator with an adjustable output using a voltage divider will work.
I have not done the calculations yet, but all you really need to find is the 2 resistor values.
The other thing you need to worry about is the current draw. An LDO Vreg won't work (1.5A max), but one that can supply 6-10Amps should work fine. You will need to add a fan too, probably, just for safety.
Check www.digikey.com for parts, I haven't had a chance to look yet.
DXAV
dxav 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
noftsger,
   That current is too low for this application.
   Price is too high, too. I did my first circuit board for under $10.
   Plus it will only weigh a few ounces, and won't take up any room.
DXAV
noftsger 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

dxav wrote:
Careful with the glove box install. I know a friend that tried that in his Lexus, and the PS2 would not play at that angle. CD/DVD changers seem to work fine, but not the PS2, I would try it out, and try it driving, too.

Good Idea. I'll try it this weekend and let you know. If you can figure out the design and would be willing to make an extra one I'd gladly pay you for the parts and time. I've never really gotten into maikng circuit boards yet.

Mike

dxav 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
Have you ever seen my current one?
Need 8.4v to power new PS2 -- posted image.
Explaination here: http://www.dxav.com/tutorials/ps2_mod.htm
Same thing you need here, but with a little modification.
I could do one for you. PM me when you get a minute.
DXAV
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
Also dont forget that the new PS2's top load so you have to make sure there is sufficent space to open the ps2 and insert the discs
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
barto 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

Anyone use DC power adapter with the new ps2.  I am going to buy one and would seriously be interested in running it directly off DC rather than converting it from DC to AC then back to DC.  The board is external correct, since the new PS2s power supply is external?

dxav 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, the PS2 is smaller in part to the external power supply.
DXAV
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
be careful.. they are being recalled due to overheating...
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic