Calculating current draw

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jeffpaulus 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

Problem:

I have a 60 amp alternator on my car. I am currently running 1 Alpine MRVT-420 2 CH amp to my fronts. (90w x2), there is 40 amps of fusing on the amp. I am planning on adding subs and I am wondering how many watts I can push (or better yet, amps I can draw) without replacing my alternator. I also have a 1 farad capacitor. I am considering a DIamond Audio D3600.1 (600 watts at 1 ohm, 70 amps of fusing) and a Fosgate P6001 (700 watts at 1 ohm, not sure how much fusing)

Also, how can I calculate the current draw on my 2ch amp? I was figuring watts divided by volts. is that correct? Can I test this with a DMM?

Thanks

Deck -     Eclipse CD8443 - $475
Speakers - Boston BAZ5 - $1000
Amp -      Alpine MRV-T420 - $400
Car -      1988 PLymouth Colt - $450, it's been rolled!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

You can figure the draw of the two channel with the amp specs and the ohm load.  Your fronts are no doubt at 4 ohms, so the Ohms Law equation you would use is I=sq.rt.(P/R).  If the power is 180 watts into 4 ohms, then amperage draw at a maximum would be 6.7.  You could also measure voltage output of the amp with a DMM, but you have to set up a careful test with a reliable tone at 0 db.  You would measure voltage in AC volts, then use P=E^2/R to find watts.  Then do the above I=sq.rt.(P/R) to get a truer amperage draw.  But it will probably be close enough just going by specs.

Seems to me that a 60 amp alt doesn't leave much room for aftermarket amplifiers.  You might want to start looking into a reasonably priced upgrade.

I always bring up http://www.bcae1.com/ohmslaw.htm when the subject of Ohm's Law comes up.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
I'd say you should have at least an 85A alternator for any decent amp. 105A would be better, those ridiculous like 140A ones are generally overkill, but if you're upgrading, overkill doesn't hurt, especially considering alternators don't work at full power at idle. and stevdart, you have to include amplifier efficiency. Class A is only 25-35% efficient, class AB maybe 50%, class D and class T around 85%. But if the amp has a 70A fuse then just make sure you can supply 70A to it. And that's not going to happen with a 60A alternator. So keep the gain low or replace that alternator.
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
dragonrage, the efficiency of the amp wouldn't play a part in my answer because the amperage was figured on the output rating of the amp, not the fusing.  Ohm's Law figured on the power of 180 watts @ 4 ohms, which is what was posted . " how can I calculate the current draw on my 2ch amp? " was the question I was answering.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart, the current you found is the output current of the amp, not the current draw of the amp.

When adding up current draw in an electrical system, always take the worst case scenario, which in this case is what the fuse is rated for (well, a little under it)

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
stevdart 
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I gotcha.  I have a mental block in that area.
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

To measure current draw you can use an inductive meter.. either electronic (known as a 'clamp on' type,) or mechanical (not as accurate as electronic, but gives you a rough idea).

If you don't have an inductive meter you can buy a shunt and wire it inline.. use the DMM to measure the current. A common shunt ratio is 1 amp equals 1mV, so if you were drawing 50 amps, you'd be reading 50mV on the meter.

Regardless of current draw, a voltmeter is a nice way to monitor your charging system.

Hope this helps..

Jim

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic