icon

Plugs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
7zark7 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys.  I've been reading the forum for a while and have picked up some good information.  I just started on a fiberglass box/amprack that will replace the backseat in my 92 Talon. 

Now my question is:  I know what plugs are used for but, how do you keep them from sticking to the fleece when after the resin hardens?  I'm assuming that you guys make your plugs out of MDF.  Doesn't that absorb the resin and get bonded to the fleece?

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
What is a plug anyway does anyone have a pic of one, because I cant figure out how they work or what theyre for.
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2004 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
One word - tape.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
From what I understand, a plug is a mold of something whihc is used to reproduce the piece over and over again.  I've seen some plugs made from plaster, and some people use tooling gelcoat.  Check out the JL Audio site, I think they have a tutorial on plugs.  Plugs -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
Clayd6287 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
use masking tape and cover the surface you are making the mold fit. then do the glass. most ppl know these stpes. once you get the plug/mold, you can put wax on it (turtle wax for cars) and wax the back of it up really well then lay another couple of layers of glass on it and let it dry. when it drys, you can pull it off b/c it wont stick to your plug, because of the wax. then you can keep repeating those steps to make more and more molds.
help!!!
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
are you making more than one of the same thing??? or are you just glassing the shape of the floor for every possible amount of air space?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic