icon

Good purchase or fluke?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
yurdady1 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

I was wondering if it's a good buy to purchase a Legacy 2000 Watt 2 Channel Car Amplifier these are the specs. and the price is $99 + $15 Shipping so about $115, it has 1 year warranty but is factory refurbished

• Two Channel Amplification
    1000 Watts x 2 Output
    2000 Watts x 1 Bridged Output
  • Fully Adjustable Electronic Crossover Network
  • Variable Bass Boost (0~12dB @ 60Hz)
  • Soft Turn On/Off Circuit
  • 2 Ohm Stereo Stable
  • Bridgeable into 4 Ohms
  • MOSFET PWM Power Supply
  • Heavy Duty Aluminum Alloy Heatsink
  • Discreet Wire Connections
  • Variable Gain Control
  • Remote Turn On/Off
  • Hi/Lo Level Inputs
  • Gold Plated High Impedance Input
  • High Level MOLEX Input
  • Power On LED Indicator
  • LED Protection Indicator
  • S/N Ratio: >95dB
  • THD: < 0.04%
  • Frequency Response: 15 30kHz
  • Thermal/Overload/Short Circuit Protection
  • Dimensions (LxHxW): 17.71" x 2.25" x 10.25"
  • Thax.

haemphyst 
    Platinum - Posts: 5,054
    Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: November 13, 2004 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
    DON'T DO IT!!! Legacy amps are garbage, made by Sherwood, they are the stuff that wasn't GOOD enough to get the actual Sherwood name badge stamped on it... I have a feeling that one'll bite you, especially seeing it's a refurb! It broke once, it'll break again!
    It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
    yurdady1 
    Member - Posts: 6
    Member spacespace
    Posted: November 13, 2004 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
    Ok, do u have any suggestions for an amp. that will push 2, 12" Motorsport M6 Diamond subs. to the max. (800 RMS), and maybe also 2 12" Alpine R12's?, i had an Alpine V12 amp (750 RMS). which was running my 2 Diamond subs, and i'm pretty sure it wasn't pushing them all the way....so do you have suggestions as to what kind of amp. i can get to run my 2 12" Diamonds? so the i can just put my V12 amp. to run my R12's
    /r7 
    Silver - Posts: 340
    Silver spacespace
    Posted: November 13, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
    im not sure how high-end the alpine amp you have been using is, but if that amp and the next one you purchase are roughly the same in build quality, then i dont think even adding 50watts will give you the increase you may be looking for. look for some high quality brands and spend the extra dollar to clean up the sound from the amp to the subs.
    whats your price range?
    Rushman 
    Silver - Posts: 380
    Silver spacespace
    Posted: November 13, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
    Remote Turn On/Off.............are they trying to make this amp somthing special no other amp has?  ha-ha !
    99 F-one fitty
    Pioneer Premier H/U
    Alpine EQ
    Kicker 1200 amp
    4 Kicker comp 10s
    6 kicker SS65.2 components
    jeffchilcott 
    Platinum - Posts: 2,483
    Platinum spacespace
    Posted: November 13, 2004 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
    I am hopeing you realize by running 2 diffrent types of subs you are going to cause cancleation, you will probably end up with less bass or more distorted bass then with 2 subs.   I cant fugure out why everyone wants to do this... I had a guy come in the other day that had about 7 diffrent subs, and could figure out why nothing hit,   well he had one jl8w3 2 lightning audio 12's bolt series..one 15 inch sub.   looked like a home audio sub.   2 old 10 inch fosgates one missing the whole center cap. Then a lanzer sub that looked like someone threw it out the window doing about 70 on the hwy and he picked it up...of corse he was powering them all off the 1000 watt legacy amp that was soooooooo powerful. I should have taken a picture would have been great.   
    Run subs of the same model and size. dont mix amps per sub.    These are 2 big tips for new installers....ohhh yea     dont be dumb..just dont
    2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
    2007 USACI World Champion
    2007 World Record
    2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
    Rushman 
    Silver - Posts: 380
    Silver spacespace
    Posted: November 13, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
    lol Jeff . that 7 sub set up sounds like a snapshot for the HzEmall web page. Crap , Hacks , and Scary stuff
    99 F-one fitty
    Pioneer Premier H/U
    Alpine EQ
    Kicker 1200 amp
    4 Kicker comp 10s
    6 kicker SS65.2 components
    tomos 
    Copper - Posts: 78
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: November 15, 2004 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  
    As much as I loved my Diamond M6 I don't know if it can take the full 800w it claims as I managed to burn 2 (one after the other) with a JL 500/1. Be warned...
    What's that flippie??

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
    This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic