Noob saying hi !

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
04r1belgium 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
I've been reading through these pages as I'm looking for as much information on fiberglassing enclosures and amp racks as possible before I actually start doing it. Don't want to end up like that Mustang kid... Noob saying hi ! - Last Post -- posted image.
Anyway. I'm getting my new 2005 BMW 5 series in a couple of weeks, and have been looking for the most elegant way of upgrading my stock setup with my Rockford Fosgate 1051S amp and Boston Acoustics 12.5LF sub.
I was thinking of using the sidewell in the trunk to fiberglass enclosures for the sub on one side, and the amp+cap rack on the other side. Not sure if I'll be able to use much MDF, as the trunk is rather curvy. Then maybe I'll finish everything off with plexi and blue neon...
But before I start, I have much more reading to do ! Looking forward to picking all your brains and learning as I go !
Cheers,
Belgium.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
holy...must be nice to have all this money in your pockit. wish i was rich! :( i'm stuck at a cash job place. :P
xTimx
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

cripe...I'm with u xTimx.  i work full time at 9 an hour but half of each cheque is resigned for other stuff, supposedly that should be fine, but stuff is so bloody expensive to do and i've already done the cheap stuff.  ah well, one thing at a time.   

Belgium:  Your shouldnt need any MDF for the subwoofer box (except for the sub mounting rings)...not sure about the amp rack though, if u have a digital camera then take a picture of the trunk, send me a few different angle shots, I might be able to figgure something out with a paint program if it will help.

04r1belgium 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
I guess my post was a bit insensitive Noob saying hi ! - Last Post -- posted image. Sorry for that...
I'll be collecting the car on december 1st. I'll be sure to take some pictures of the trunk and post them here.
One question I do have is that if I use the spare tire well as sub box, how can I "cover" my sub enclosure with plexi so I can use my trunk ? The airspace above the sub is supposed to be free, no ? Maybe persorated plexi or something ?
     ---------------------- plexi
     |                     |
     |_____________________|sub
     |   \        /       |
     |    \_______/        |
     |_____________________|FG sub box
See what I mean ? If I can not cover the sub box with something so I can actually USE the trunk, I'll have to consider other options.
04r1belgium 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  
Yuck, that ASCII piture didn't come out right... Let's try something different...
Noob saying hi ! - Last Post -- posted image.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
does the plexi really need to be vented? or can it be sealed from both sides?  do u have a cardboard piece that covers the wheel well hole?  if u do the what u can do is cut a hole in the cardboad, dont cut the carpet copletely though cause u will want to wrap a bit of carpet around the edges of the cardboard u just cut for a nicer look...than u can just get a peice of plexi and use an adhesive caulking to connect the plexi to the cardboard...thats the cheapo way to do it, or u can make a fiberglass piece of the cardboard and mold the plexi into the fiberglass...that would look way better and would probably last  a lot longer too.  just my idea as a newb.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic