icon

Need help building a concealment housing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chiana 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
I am planning on concealing my V1 radar detector in a housing mounted to the roof console. This is on a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. It will be mounted on that empty space before the rear lights. So far I plan on having smoke plexiglass on the front and rear so it can still pick up laser. I want to make this look like a stock extension of the overhead console.
So far I plan on taking the console out, wrapping it in a trash bag than coverig the part I plan to mount it to in aluminum foil. Than make a base for the housing with the fiber glass over the top of the foil. I have limited experience working with fiberglass, but I have the general idea about it since I had recently repaired a boat I have.
After I get the base (top) made I plan on making a clay model of the housing and lay fiberglass over that to get the housing. However, I haven't figured out a way to make the housing easily removable (if I want to move the detecror to anotehr car for instance). It would be simple to bolt it to the console, but that wouldn't make it easy to remove. I had thought of making the housing in two halves, but I don't know a simple way to join them together yet make they easily removable.
Anyone have any ideas how to make it easily removable or splitable?
-Chris
Thanx,
Chris
04r1belgium 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmm... Velcro ? Magnets ?
Chiana 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
Magnets + electronic device = not good.
Velcro. I thought of that, but it really doesn't look good. I am trying to make this piece look stock.
Soem form of a latch would be good, but I have no idea how I would do that.
I also would prefer not to have exposed screws.
-Chris
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
What about 3m double sided exterior tape that stuff will hold anything together. And plus if you take it down and the tape doesnt stick anymore just pull that off and put more on.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  

i like the 3m tape too.  hehe..or duct tape. I'm more of a visual learner so i still dont quite get what the seperate piece is like, but is it possible to maybe fiberglass some tubing to the piece that u want to connect and the piece u are connecting to and have the pipe cut it a few spots, and then all u would have to do is insert a rod to lock them together....geez thats a pretty pathetic explanation....i'll try to add a drawing.  i made a locking mechanism like this on a homemade black powder rifle so it does work....all u have to do is cut the tube, insert the rod to hold it all together and just tack it with hot glue like it is in the pic, then u remove the rod and make sure each piece is secure with possibly fiberglass or something...i had it brazed on to steel so it was a bit easier, but it should work allright with some wort of glue.  not sure if thats what your looking for or not,but what the heck...it may give a few other people some ideas.

Need help building a concealment housing -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic