icon

Amplifier configuration for 6 1/2 & subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
V70t 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

I am new to this forum and would like your advice.

I have just purchased a Nak CD-700II HU and PA-2004 amplifier and already have a Fosgate Punch 60 DSM amp (30 x 2). I also plan to get 6 1/2 components for the front doors and 6 x 9 subs for the rear of my 2003 Volvo V70 wagon. I do not plan to use any speakers in the rear doors.

Is the best set-up to use the 4 channels of the PA-2004 for the front components ,without the use of the passive crossover, and the rear subs powered by the Fosgate? I don't listen very loud, prefer Jazz and Classical and don't like music coming from the back of me. My thinking is the subs with give ambiance and bottom extension but nothing else. SQ is my biggest priority.

TIA,

Robert
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
I'd use two channels of the PA2004 (great amp) for the front components WITH the supplied passive crossovers.  Run your small subs from the other two channels of the Nak and sell the Punch on eBay. 
Support the12volt.com
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
I'd use two channels of the PA2004 (great amp) for the front components WITH the supplied passive crossovers.  Run your small subs from the other two channels of the Nak and sell the Punch on eBay. 

Ditto advice.

Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
Im thinking that it should sound ok to bridge the 4 channel amp to a 2 ohm stereo load to the components in the front doors. Im not too shure about the 6 x 9 subs in the rear. They may sound ok with the Punch 60 if you can get a well balance in the system.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
V70t 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the very quick responses. But something tells me that running the component fronts without the passive crossover will yield better SQ. If this is the case and the Punch 60 is not good enough for the rear subs then I will get a better amp. Or is it generally a bad idea to run components actively using the inboard supplied crossover in the NAK amp in my case.

Robert
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
the H/u doeas have a crossover but If I understand correctly , the way your suggesting is to run an upper frquency that is filtered at the head unit and than send it to the front compnents? You will get a sound maybe close to what your looking for but its just my opinion that you should USE the passive crossover and run the signal off the radio full frequency. I believe this will give you a fuller , richer , maybe even a fatter sound. In other words, Run the signal RCAs to the 4 channel amp , bridge the amp 2 channels to the passive crossovers and then to the components. Just my opinion........Its up to you if you want to dump the whole bass thing in the back or not
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
I would keep the passive crossovers, because the manufacture intended them to be used with the speakers, and it would be a lot harder to make the speakers sound right without them. Don't bridge the four channels of the amp (it would be like running the amp at 2 ohms and that would result in more distortion and worse SQ) just use one set of channels for the fronts and one for the subs. This would result in the best SQ you can achieve with this setup.
V70t 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

Rusman, I am planning to run the front components fullrange. The sub in the rear is just for added bass fill. The active crossover used would come from the PA-2004 amp.

I should also add that I have a sophisticated portable computer software frequency analyser and the Beringer ECM8000 mic and 110 pre to tune the set-up. I use this equipment when I analyse and tune my different prototype home audio loudspeakers and drivers before they go to market.

Robert
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
I think i $hit myself when i read that. ... You are one lucky guy to have the CD-700II and the PA-2004. I have a CD-45z and a PA-1004 and they are great for me. But seriousy sell that fosgate amp, as it does Nak no justice. Use the PA-2004 amp (Fantastic) to run both your components and your 6x9's, and check into Nak's external crossovers at www.nakamichi.com and you'll be fine on how your power is tuned as well as frequency. Check your manual for that head unit. it is the best one made and it has a lot of things you don't know about so read on. It has an insane DA converter (24 bit or something like that) and a built in crossover so you should just be rolling along smoothly.
Good luck with that.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
V70t 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

Once again, thanks for all the replies. I will use the PA-2004 with the front components (Passive crossover) and rear 6 x 9 subs and sell the Fosgate. I used to have the CD-45z in my previous car but sold it with the car.

Do I dare ask what 6 1/2 components should go in front and what rear 6x9 for the back? Again, SQ is my main priority. Any thoughts about www.B-Quiet.com damping sheets. I like the idea of them made in Canada.

Robert
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic