icon

JL12w6v2 and polyfil

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Thuan 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

Originally I stuffed my 1.38cu ft box with 1.25 pounds of polyfil. Is 1.25 pounds of polyfil overkill? I remembered someone telling me that I should only fill half of the box with polyfil...so yesterday I removed some of the polyfil from the enclosure. My sub seems to be louder (I'm able to feel the bass when I drive) now that I've removed some of the stuffing.I was told a good rule of thumb is 1 pound per cu ft...but even at that ratio it still seems like a lot for that amount of space. My question is....if I overstuff an enclosure will it affect my subwoofers performance?

Thuan
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, subs need the air space and clogging up the enclosure doesn't give the sub the space where it needs to produce the sound. Get rid of some of that polyfill and you'll be fine. My rule of thumb for it is 2/3 to 3/4 pounds of it per cu ft. All of my projects come out great with that rule. Good luck!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
I would honestly build a ported enclosuer for these subs.    Try something around 1.75 cu ft tuned to 28-32 hz.   this would be great for a street beat combo
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
If that is a sealed enclosure, there should be no need for polyfil with adequate airspace.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
I second that motion, especially for W6v2 - port those babies around 30 Hz and you'll be kickin it just fine.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Thuan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

Don't sealed enclosures sound better? I took out about 1/2 of what I originally had in there so it's probally stuffed with less then 3/4 of a pound right now.

I don't need polyfil if it's in a sealed enclosure?

Thuan
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't use polyfill honestly in one. Sealed enclosures sound better only for certain notes and kinds of music. When you port it, your capable of hitting those really low notes and rocking out that bass hard. Port that sucker and it will be great.
Thuan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

Really...no polyfill?

Can you help me out with this one? My box is 1.38 cu ft....once I put the subwoofer in the box it's no longer 1.38 cu ft because of the frame and magnet...how do I determine the actual airspace with the subwoofer installed? Thanks

Thuan
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
i don't know about that, try to pm boxmaker and see what he says. He has some other posts on this thread.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic