icon

How should I set my gains and Freq.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nychris2004 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
Ok i have a rockford 501bd amp (500rms@2 ohms)
and a alpine 9823 head unit.
I have it hooked to 1 rockford rfd2212 DVC 12" (500 watt rms) in a sealed box.
now i just have regular kenwood speakers but the head unit manages to get them pretty loud and i generally have the bass turned all the way down for them, i was just wondering how i should set my HU Subwoofer Out (0-15), my HU bass (-7 to +7), the gain on the amp, the frequency on the amp, and the remote bass control that hooks up to the amp to make it sound good without fear of clipping or anything . Any help would be grestly appreciated...I usually have the HU at about 22-25 out of 35 on the volume so thats probably the loudest i turn it.
JVC HU
Rockford 501bd (500 watt rms)
Rockford Hx2 Rf2212 (1)
Kenwood 6969 (4)
---If You Learn Something New Everyday And Teach It To Someone Else, Everybody Would Still Be Dumb As Hell!---
nychris2004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Also, do subs gradually lose power?, because i know its crazy but i have a 12" power acoustik SVC sub (its like a walmart sub), but like the kicks and some of the deeper bass notes DEFINITELY hit harder than my RFD2212 does, in the same box with less power to it..and the box is a recommended size for both subs. im giving the RFD 500 watts rms, the other sub can only handle 200 rms and the amp runs at 300 rms at 4 ohm so i just turn the gains down, but it definitely does hit harder than the RFD2212 on ALOT of notes, and im very confused..
JVC HU
Rockford Hx2 Rf2212 (1)
Kenwood 6969 (4)
---If You Learn Something New Everyday And Teach It To Someone Else, Everybody Would Still Be Dumb As Hell!---
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
Well set your hu to 0 for bass and 0 for your sub out. Let your remote bass control decide how much power you want into it. Subs do not gradually lose power. Subs don't have power in them to begin with. It is your amp that can lose power, which is rare in itself. Usually it will just shut down or you might not be getting sufficient power if your not running that sub at a stable ohm load. Is that a dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm? Either way, get it to 2 or 4 ohms flat and don't drop it to 1 or go up to 8 with that amp. When you do that = bad results = blown amp/blown sub. Good luck.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
nychris2004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
The amps brand new.. im running the sub at 2 ohms..its a dual 4 ohm sub and the amp puts out 500 rms @ 2 ohms.. the sub is rated at 500 rms (250 rms per VC) so its powered correctly but the little bullsh*t power acoustik sub i have hits harder with only between 200-250 TOTAL watts going to it, i am a bit confused as to why that walmart sub hits way better than my RFD2212 does, and the box is the correct airspace for both of them.
JVC HU
Rockford Hx2 Rf2212 (1)
Kenwood 6969 (4)
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
I just can't believe that. Your box must not be built right for that sub if a power acoustik can beat it. Port that damn box down to 32 Hz or less and that should improve your bang a lot. Trust me on that.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
The only thing I can see is that you are only giveing it rms power where you were over powering the other sub, I would also go ahead and build a ported box for the fosgate sub
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Seriously, build that ported box. It will make a world of change on that fosgate. I have worked with that model in particular and they will crank with the right box and that amplification is fine for it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic