icon

clamp on multimeter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigt_45 
Copper - Posts: 48
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
I am looking to buy a clamp on multimeter.  I dont want to spend a whole lot of money on one that has stuff I dont need.  I really only want it to test the volts in car wires.  I will prolly also use it to test amps, but I am not sure.  I am sure I will only be using it on a car.  Do they make clamp on meters for dc only?  Does anyone have any suggestions on models of meters and where i can get one.
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
Just buy a cheap DMM, and you will be fine. Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. If your priority is to measure voltage (E) then that is all you need.
If you intend to measure large DC current (I), then yes, you will need a clamp on meter. As a standard DMM cannot measure past 10-20 amperes.
And the ability to measure the circuit without breaking the circuit is always a plus.
Things to remember about a clamp on meter or any meter.
1. Accuracy
2. Resolution
3. Range
4. True RMS
5. Of course, quality and workmanship is always paramount.
If it comes down to no costs, then Fluke. If you want similar quality then Extech, Meterman, Megger, Ideal, AEMC, Amprobe, etc.
Knowledge is power. But only if you apply that knowledge in a positive way, which promotes positive results in others.
EVIL Teken . . .
bigt_45 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
I have a nice dmm already, but i dont like having to split open wires to measure their volts.  I would like to measure volts with a clamp so i could just put the wire inside of it.  Do I need a special clamp on multimeter to be able to read volts?
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
When you are measuring voltage you are placing the DMM's leads in parallel to the circuit.
When you are measuring the current of a circuit, in the standard method the circuit in question needs to be broken open and the DMM's leads are placed in series to the circuit.
Please explain to me what it is you're trying to measure, which needs to have the circuit broken to measure the voltage?
If you have a fairly good DMM your other option is to purchase a clamp on meter probe. You simply attach the leads to your DMM.
Some probes can measure only AC curent others can measure both based on either mA / mVAC.
All of clamp on probes are only as sensitive as the turn ratio's built into their housings.
There are clamp meters which measure both voltage & current. But you obviously pay more for that feature.
Remember, clamp on probes are limted to the quality of your DMM, and also cost alot more than a stand alone clamp on meter.
If your DMM does not have true RMS capability, then the clamp on probe cannot provide you with this reading either.
Knowledge is power. But only if you apply that knowledge in a positive way, which promotes positive results in others.
EVIL Teken . . .
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
i never seen a clamp meter that test for volts only for amps. But then again i never saw everything that is out there. If there is, who make them. The ones i have now are Fluke and i like to stick it those. It be a lot easier to use, im not talking in car auto/alarms, but my oter feild as a tech for movie theaters.
bigt_45 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, lets say I am wiring up an alarm.  I need to find out which wire under the kick panel is the door lock negative pulse.  Usually, I would have to cut the cover of the wire to get my multimeter probes inside.  I want to be able to put a clamp around the wire and check to see if it is the right one.  Since there is no clamp on meter that reads volts, would I be able to tell which wire it is with amps?  Would the wire show a change in DC amps if I were to press the lock button on the car?  If this is true, I can get a clamp on meter that reads DC amps.  Then what model of clamp meter should I get?
bigt_45 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  

I found these two clamp meters for under $100:

Amprobe ACD-10PRO

Fluke 322

They both read AC and DC volts to 600 and AC amps to 400.  Would these be fit for what I want?

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
As you already stated the two units only measure AC amps. If you want to measure DC amps, then you need to spend alot more money. The Fluke 337 measures DC amps. The Extech 800 series measures both VDC & DC current.
One thing I would like to point out is that the capture rate on some models are not fast enough to obtain a reading.
Hence, you really need to have one in your hands to play around with, and see if it is fast enough to capture and measure the instantanous current or voltage drops.
EVIL Teken . . .
bigt_45 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

The extech 800 looks like it will do everything i need.....and for less than a hundred bucks.  Do you recommend this meter?  Thank you for the help Teken!

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
The Extech 380652 will measure AC/DC amps, AC/DC volts, and resistance. This one will do fine.
The Extech 380942 will measure AC/DC amps, AC/DC volts. With a resolution AC: 0.10 mA, and DC: 0.001 mA. This is the unit I use often, and rely on for extremely low parasitic current draws. I have not found another one with the same accuracy, and resolution as this clamp on meter at a reasonable price point.
You can't go wrong with Extech equipment. Not very well known to many shade tree mechs, but very known to industrial tech personals like myself.
Shop around though, and you might be able to find them cheaper on the net.
I would really suggest that you go to a real store and play with one first. I am sure you will like it, but sometimes there are quirks which others do not.
I am a Fluke man by majority, but I always look out for other brands who have the same level of build quality and craftmanship as Fluke.
Extech is one of them on my list. Probably the biggest thing which comes to mind about them is value. Alot of features for dollar invested, not always true with Fluke, Snap-On, etc.
Just my $0.00000000000001 on that.
EVIL Teken . . .

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic