icon

Mounting Ring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
Hey. I've seen Chris's tutorials and read a bunch of posts talking about mounting rings using dowel. My friend and I made a custom speaker box for his civic that held 3 pairs of speakers. We used Dowels to mount those rings, but it was such a pain in the a$$. One of us had to hold the rings, while the other glued the dowel down. Plus, getting it symetrical on both sides was a pain using dowels too. I've seen pics of boxes being made using not a hollow ring, but one that looked almost like a pizza.  With some kind of wood holding it in the center. I guess the ring would be cut out after glassing it, but what do you cut it out with, a router, or jigsaw? I figured a jigsaw may vibrate it way too much and wouldn't be the best for the fiberglass. Anybody have any tips or links on how to do this properly. I also think this would be an easier way to get the symetry I want on my next project. Any advice will help. Thanx.
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
The wood holding it in the center is a 2x4 or a couple of MDF pieces sandwiched together, depending on what you have when you need it. You can cut out the opening with whatever works for you. I use either a router/circle jig for flat rings or an air body saw for flush mount rings (too close for a jig saw or router).
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
Whats an air body saw? I dont think I cant get a hold of one of those. Is there anythijng else? Or any other ways to pount the ring without using dowel? Ya, I'm goin to a flush mount.
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

This is an air body saw.  If you ever cut plastic or fiberglass, you will always be using this.  It gets into crevices and corners and cuts just about anything.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=329&pricetype=

davedyer79
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
$20 Air saw I wonder what how long that tool would last?
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
How about a recipricating saw? I buddy has one.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
As far as symetery I used tomato vine fence/rings.  If I can get these friggin pics loaded I'll be glad to show you how I did it.  I mounted two subs and they came out really close for minimal time of cutting and sanding dowels.  And it holds good.  I'll try and get some pics up.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hey boxmaker have you tried to upload them to this website by clicking on the tree with the arrow pointing up.  And make sure the .jpg is at the end of the file name.  Thats why mine wouldnt show up.
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
Yep, that's an air body saw. I suppose a recip saw would work but that's a little big and awkward for a job of this size.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  

they need to invent practical lazer beams that can cut through stuff like this...

how about cutting the ring in the solid piece of wood, but not cutting it out completely so that when the box is done, all u have to do is knock it out with a hammer and smooth off the attachment points? leave maybe 4 attachment points? just make sure to do that before the other ring is glued on.  did that make sense?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic