icon

deck setting loud-low-medium-high?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
curt234 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  

Hi I have a pioneer premier deck which is 45wx4, 12 pioneer sub running off a kenwood mon amp and two pioneer 6x9I's ruinning off a kenwood 250 2 channel amp. I was wondering on the deck u can turn loud setting off-low-medium-high. Can someone what is is used for and why it pounds hard with it on?

boostedcivic 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

Normally the loud button increases the low and high frequencies to make your music sound better at lower volumes.

Jason

Smrad 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
curt234 wrote:

Hi I have a pioneer premier deck which is 45wx4, 12 pioneer sub running off a kenwood mon amp and two pioneer 6x9I's ruinning off a kenwood 250 2 channel amp. I was wondering on the deck u can turn loud setting off-low-medium-high. Can someone what is is used for and why it pounds hard with it on?

Loud means loudness and . .  i think u should have louder bass & treble on high loudness dont see why will that make u problem . .i have 2x pioneer deck and i speacialy like loudness options . . and get best SQ with that. . .thats all i know . .hope that helped.  ..

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
BCAE to the rescue. http://www.bcae1.com/
First, here's what loudness does in theory.
Looks good, right? Wrong. Most head units don't implement loudness correctly. This is most evident when trying to set gains on an amplifier.
Here's a quote from that page:
"The output of some decks will clip at less than 50% of its full volume when the loudness is engaged or bass and treble are boosted. Many of the low to mid priced head units have a maximum output level (before clipping) of 2 vrms. If a 100hz test tone is played in the head unit and the bass control boosts signal levels at 100hz by 10dB, the output would clip if the pre bass boosted signal would have been .63 vrms. In other words, If the output of the 100hz test tone is more than .63 vrms and the bass control was turned to its maximum level, the signal would clip. This would very likely be at less than one-half volume."
What you should learn from these articles is this:
1) Loudness should only be engaged at lower volume levels
2) You must be careful not to turn the volume up too loud when you have the loudness engaged. If you do, you are probably clipping your output of your deck. This will introduce distortion into your amplifier and speakers. Your speakers will potentially be permanently damaged. Not to mention your hearing.
You should only turn loudness on at very low volume levels. When you do I would stick to the lowest setting available. I would personally never turn loudness on.
Unless the loudness contour is 'smart' you'll probably be clipping and distorting if you try turning it up. There should be no need to do this. I don't think anyone in their right mind would associate loudness with 'SQ'. It unnaturally alters the frequency response curve regardless of what your curve already looks like. This is not sound quality. It might be 'pounding' to impress the girls, but it isn't sound quality and doesn't impress anyone else. This is especially true if you're distorting all over the place. I hear too many idiots driving down the steet with their windows down, loudness on, and distorting all over the place.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
curt234 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for summing it up. Sometimes it sounds good on low as it really boots the low frequencies but it can over do it. The little 4 1/2's in the front can be easyly distorted. I only put it on once in a while when I want lots of bass. It pounds with zz top in and I can't tell its distorting but probably got it cranked up to much. I  think it silly when people drive around with there windows down and having it so loud they want everyone to hear and they think there so cool. I can kind of understand when young teens do it as they are still young and stupid but some people don't grow out of it. Well guys thanks for your comments and feel free to add your comments.

xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
if your loudness even has it...turn it completely off.
xTimx

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic