icon

Major SPL

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dubb 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

One of my homeboys got some subs installed in his car.Two seperate sealed boxes. One box wit two 10's placed behind the other box with two 12's. i mean it looks crazy two  but the spl is crazy. His trunk hits, the two boxes take up all trunk space. I was wondering what are the pros and cons of this set up. what do you lose and what do you gain. i have two extra 12 sitting in my room and his spl made me wanna throw that box in behind my 15's. Give me info before its too late and i explore my curiousity. LOL. Where u at RUSHMAN....

2005 Ford 500 SEL. 3 Kicker CVR 15"s. 2000 watt Quantum Audio AMP.
boostedcivic 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

I would be careful running subs that are different sizes because you can end up with alot of cancellation. the only way I would do anything like that is with two amps and an external crossover.

Jason

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
You shouldn't run subs of different sizes, unless you have them properly crossed over so that they arn't playing the same frequencys. If you didn't cross them over cancellation would probobly occur. I would just stay with either 12s or 15s, Not both.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with the above. It is generally a bad idea.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
I hear all the time "Don't use different size woofers, blah, blah, blah..." go ahead and use 'em... the difference in size between a 12 and a 15 is SO insignificant at the wavelengths you will be reproducing, it will be such a non-event, to even TRY to measure the difference, it would be pretty close to impossible to quantify any "cancellations" you MIGHT get. I wouldn't recommend an 8 and an 18 running the same frequency band, but a 12 and a 15? No problem. The important thing to remember is: MAKE SURE THE PHASE OF EVERY DRIVER IS CORRECT! If you do not do this, then you WILL end up with cancellations that will destroy (if not, limit) your maximum SPL... If you were doing this in a competition vehicle, it might not be the BEST idea, but a daily driver, looking for "bump", you'll be fine!
I have installed multiple size drivers (subwoofers, specifically) in many cars in my day, always with FAR more than "acceptable" results, BUT, if somebody can prove to me that I am wrong, with empirical evidence, I'll recant my ravings, and admit defeat. Until then, go ahead and use the drivers you have!
I might mention, that it is also VITAL that the drivers all have their own airspace, completely separate from the other drivers. I am thinking this may be where people are believing that you shouldn't mix driver size. In a common enclosure, the driver with the STRONGER MOTOR STRUCTURE (it has NOTHING to do with the driver size) will cause the other driver to perhaps (ok, LIKELY) function out of phase, due to the compression of the air inside the enclosure... this IS bad... but as I said, separate enclosures will prevent this from happening.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst does have a point.  This concept applies to you're normal speakers.  You've got 5.25" and 6.5" or 6x9.  Different speakers but same music.  But as far as subs you're dealing with a much larger wave (in wavelength and height) so wouldn't you get more cancelation espceially when they are so close together?  The might play with a slightly smaller wave and therefore cause a different sound.  And not arguing but if it makes such a small difference then why do you hardly ever see the mixing of sub sizes, especially with the competition cars?  I think it's kinda cool to have like one 15" surrounded by a ring of 10"  subs, but will it work?  (hm... sounds good for a show car).  Just my $.02
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
The wavelength is NOT based on the diameter of the driver, it is based on the frequency being reproduced. 1100 Hz is one foot long, whether it is coming off of an 18 inch woofer or a 1 inch tweeter. It will make no difference. There is no "height", as you refer to it. Sound actually radiates off of a diaphragm as a half sphere of pressure/rarifaction waves. The interaction of these waves can be destructive or constructive, again from whatever size the driver is. If your drivers are reproducing different frequency bands, then this will actually cause more destructive interference.
As far as "competition cars" using different size drivers, why would they? They are usually sponsored, so why not use as many of the biggest drivers they can? There is no NEED to mix driver sizes. It would not matter if the did, though.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

Your not getting enough from the 2 15" Kicker CRV's?  Well after reading your sig I can see you all about loud, and thats it.  So sure throw those 2 12's in the trunk, you'll be louder.  I would not worry explicityly about cancelation in your case (although it is a legitimate argument) cause you are going for spl and no resembalence of SQ.  I still can amagine those 2 15 kickers are not doing it for ya, unless there is something wrong with the setup... 

My first question would be what are these  "2 1000 watts 2 channel amps"?  I run a JBL 1200.1  ( 600@4ohm  1200@2ohm) and my electrical system is taxed to the limits when I push the amp hard.  So how are you running 2 1000w amps and a 400w?   You may benifit from a new alternator, something like 200amps with that kind of wattage in your system.  My second would be-check your enclosure design.  I checked the specs and Kicker recommends a 5cu. ported enclsoure for max SPL, thats allot of trunk space.  (I know how big a 88 is)  How big are the power/ground cables to those amps?  You should be running 1-1/0 then split into 2-4 to each amp or 2-4 guage to EACH sub amp.  Personally I run a 4 guage to the sub amp and a 8 guage to the 4 channel component amp.

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  

Uh actually a wave does have a height.  They call it an amplitude.  And the louder a sound the larger the wave.

And why not mix drivers?  The same reason there are different setups.  It would suck if everyone had the exact same setup, but I would bet there is something to do with the way it souds.  Why not have 4 10" and 2 12" subs (and heck why not a 15")?  Probably for the same reason. 

kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
do it
what!?!?! you want some??
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic