icon

Major SPL

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dubb 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Thats what im sayin...it cant be that bad..im not entering any comps. so perfect sound is not a nessecity. I do love SPL. rattling, earthquake bass is what i like. my 15's are crazy as they are but i figure why stop there. its not like im makin another purchase im puttin goods that i have already to use. i dont see my system gettin no worse jus better. i thank you all for your opinions. ima try this sh*t out and let you all know how it goes.

2005 Ford 500 SEL. 3 Kicker CVR 15"s. 2000 watt Quantum Audio AMP.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
boxmaker85 wrote:

Uh actually a wave does have a height. They call it an amplitude. And the louder a sound the larger the wave.

Umm... have to disagree with you there... what you are thinking of as a height (because you have always seen it represented on an oscilloscope as yes, an amplitude...) is only the visual manifestation of sound. The amplitude you are referring to, which is perceived as loudness of a sound, is NOT a height, physically, but the DIFFERENCE in pressure between the negative swing (rarifaction) and the positive swing (pressurization). The GREATER the differences between these two points, the greater the loudness of a sound - RATE OF CHANGE determines loudness... not "height". The wavelength is ALWAYS the same size, in both length and "height". The physical dimensions occupied by a sound is always the same, in height, width, depth, and time.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
I have installed multiple size drivers (subwoofers, specifically) in many cars in my day, always with FAR more than "acceptable" results, BUT, if somebody can prove to me that I am wrong, with empirical evidence, I'll recant my ravings, and admit defeat. Until then, go ahead and use the drivers you have! 

Hmmm, I may have to play devils advocate on this one.  Although I really haven't ever fully thought this one through.  So let's break this problem down.  We will assume that we are using the same model of speaker, each using an identical motor with just different sized cones and baskets on them.  We will also assume the alignment of each size will be the same.

First of all, what are the differences you will see?  Well the larger driver will have a higher Vas, but that won't be an isue as the speakers are using different enclosures.  The larger driver will have a lower Fs, which means that it will play lower for a given alignment .  This means that you will probably have an odd stepping down in the low end of the frequency response.  Although it will likely be low enough to be fairly inaudible.  Q differences will be so close as to not be audible. 

Yup, I will have to agree that it won't matter as long as the assumed points are true.  But my question is why?  Why not instead just get all 4 of them to be 15's and know that you will have an ideal response?

Now if you are using two completely different subs (different manufacturer and different design), then the results will probably not sound very good.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
dubb wrote:

ima try this sh*t out and let you all know how it goes.

You do that.

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic