icon

fiberglass over silicon?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noakes75 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
ive began to build the second box for my subs in my thunderbird. and this one i wanted to step it up and make it out of fiberglass and what not. now ive done it before, so i feel as if i have a grasp on the idea. but i was curious, i had to apply silicon to the outside of the box in places. proberly only extra protection but i felt it was necessary. now here's the question, can you apply the resin over the silicon and expect it to ahear properly, or will it lose adehsion and fail shortly? any help would be great.
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

fiberglass resin doesnt like to stick to alot of things sadly, a properly prepped and prepared surface will take glass nicely, but i dont think it will react to silicone well at all, putting it on top of the glass to seal pin holes is probably a good idea, i know on a fiberglass boat silicone will seal water tight without any damage, but the fiberglass will never stick to the silicone, best bet is to sand it or pull it off the box, lay your glass as it will seal up holes when the resin sets and check for airleaks again and reseal.

J~

noakes75 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the advice, but i laid it over the silicon and its stickin good. i tried pullin the resin off the silicon and it aint happening. i even tried pickin at it with a screw driver.. its stuck there.

front leaning rest postion MOVE

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic