icon

Weird humming prob

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ashcan 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

Okay I have a single 12" Memphis Studio sub and a Depth charge 200w amp....Sometimes when I get in my car and start it up I get this weird humming sound...Kinda sounds like a grinding humm.....I have umplugged the RCAs from the amp and it still happens so its somewhere on the amp side...Is there any thing I can check or do to resolve this problem....

The problem has just recently started....I guess about a month ago...before that it was fine....No humm...

Help Please...

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
possibly a poor ground, is it rpm related, could also be a problem with the driver but I doubt it
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
maaudio1 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
^That would be my first guess. Ground problem. Recheck or even relocate you ground on the amp and see if that helps.
2004 Mazda 3s Hatchback
2- MTX 4500 8" subs powered by MTX 251D
ashcan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

OK....I moved my ground to the Seatbelt bolt that goes into the frame....

I took a dremel grinder and took it down to bare metal.....So its grounded good now....

I still have the same weird humm....It does it for a while then it will stop....Its not RPM related you can rev the motor and no change in tone or frequency of the hum.....I am starting to wonder if my amp is going bad and this is the first sign.....

It still plays fine and sounds good but when you turn it down you can hear it...

Any more suggestions....

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
what guage of ground wire are you using? It could be too small, or another problem could be that you have bad RCA's.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
ashcan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

Its a 200 watt amp so I used 8Ga pow and ground....

Its not in the RCAs....I have unplugged the RCAs from the amp and you still have the sound....

Could the remote wire cause A noise....I am running a factory headunit so I used the ACC pow Wire from behind the radio to turn on the amp....

Any other ideas???

archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
pull the amp and bench test it, could be internal to the amp, and you could change all the wiring and still not find the problem
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
"Ditto archemedes" - Get it bench tested, i really don't think your remote line could make a difference on it. Your ground seems fine for a 200 W amp ... interesting...
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
does it do it when the car is shut off as well? try that, and if it still does it then :P sorry i have never heard anything like that. you may want to check your ground (again) to see if your connections are corroded. (even on the amp). make sure you dremel the actual bolt too. make SURE you have a good connection.
xTimx
maaudio1 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
Starting to sound like an internal problem on the amp. If you know somebody that might let you borrow an amp for 5-10 minutes. Hook it up and see if it goes away.
2004 Mazda 3s Hatchback
2- MTX 4500 8" subs powered by MTX 251D
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic