icon

Hard wiring a power inverter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
f150on22s 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
I'm trying to put a Nintendo Game Cube in my truck.  I know I need a power inverter.  I was just wondering if I bought an inverter and cut off the cigarette lighter plug, would there just be 2 sets of wires?  And if it was wired directly to the battery, would it draw any power from it when the Game Cube is off?  Thanks...
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
You should be able to do that. After all, it IS DC. Hard wiring a power inverter -- posted image.
As for the power draw when the GameCube is off, the drain should be VERY minimal if any at all. Just what it takes to run the LED on the inverter to let you know it's on, if its even got one.
Paul
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
Why use an inverter? The GC runs off DC anyway. You could design a Voltage Regulated circuit.
The AC plug that comes with the GC goes into a large black box. This is its power supply. Out of that box is DC, which plugs into the unit using a second AC power cord.
How much did the inverter cost you? It may be cheaper to buy a second AC adapter for the GC, and then design the circuit for less money.
All depends on how much you want to do [and learn]. And you will need to know the input voltage and current for the GC.
It would be a good experience, but it would be more work. This is how I do my PS2 installs for vehicles. No sense in converting DC to AC just to convert it BACK to DC.
I could help. PM me if you have questions.
DXAV
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the last post. I don't want to make things hard on you.
You will have to make sure the cig lighter outputs 12VDC, some I have worked on only output 5VDC.
You may also want to check if the lighter is on only when the car is on. New model cars work this way.
If not, you could always tap an accessory wire in your car.
You could also grab a constant and wire a series switch. You would have to make sure you always turn it off, though. I left mine on overnight, with the PS2 off, and it didn't do anything bad. As Francious70 mentioned it's hardly any current draw.
Good Luck!
DXAV
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

A simple DC-DC power regulator would do the trick, but wiring an inverter has it's advantages too.

Depending on the power rating, the inverter is another AC plug for just about anything someone may want to plug in in a pinch.

-cell phone AC chargers

-drop-light

-another game system

-laptop

Sometimes it's just nice to have something to plug into in the car, it's not always wasted money.

archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
my inverter has a fan on it, and draws quite a bit of current, mines wired into a keyed line
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  

I have one with a fan too, I only use it for a soldering iron and dremel tool.

Is it safe to use those ACC wires for what you're doing? I'm not the authority on this, but a high current relay could be added just for good measure.

archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
it's on a relay
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
DO NOT hook it up straight to the battery.  it will draw enough current to leave you with a dead battery one morning.  tap into the ignition for power and ground the other wire.  and dont use the cig lighter, its not enough current.
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
you use an ignition source and i usually ptut it on a relay just to be on the safe side
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic