icon

Large Glass Project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, hella nice sketches!! The placement looks fairly simple. You should have no problem adding that screen in.
DXAV
eld101 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
dxav wrote:
Wow, hella nice sketches!! The placement looks fairly simple. You should have no problem adding that screen in.
DXAV
yea, he did an awsesome job, took him about 10 minutes to do the whole dash one, then he did the others off of that.
eld101 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, so we just ordered a ton of styrofoam that I am going to use to make the shape that I am going for.
Would It be a good idea to make the shape on the foam, than glass over that out of the vehicle? Then I can just pop it off and cut/sand as needed? I would of course put some foil or release agent on it so it does not stick. Should I have any problem cutting it with tools such as a dremmil or rotoip? When it comes to sanding, I will plan on using the shop air with the air powered sanded, what grits to start/end with?
Thanks again for all the help guys, I reall apreciate it!
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
I think the foam would work pretty well as long as you can get the exact size that you want for the screen.  And yeah I would say that you could be able to just glass right onto the foam and it would work, but I would put foil on it. I would think that even with the release agent on it might still soak into the foam, and that wouldnt be good at all.  As for the dremel and the rotozip, they are great tools for small fiberglass applications I used my dremel alot on my box. As for the grits I would think it depends on how the glass looks if its fairly smooth and not a lot of bumps and stuff I would just use like a 80 to 100 grit and then go up. Thats just my opinion.
eld101 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
Ok....so its about time to order everything from US COMPOSITES.....
Can someone please help me make a list of what I am going to need from glass and resin, to a filler of some sorts. If possible please include the specific #'s so I dont screw up the order....
It should be enough to do the dash project with some left over for small projects here and there.
Im thinking:
Brushes
Mixing cups
Resin /Hardener
Matt
Filler of some sort?
Thanks
eld101 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
I actualy was able to make a list, but what to use instead of bondo? I didnt see anything on thier site.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
Duraglass works well, good and strong too. Just kind of hard to sand sometimes.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic